HP TouchSmart IQ790.uk Desktop PC support
Removing a Stuck Disc
If a disc gets stuck in the disc drive and you cannot eject the disc through a software program or by pressing the eject button, you may have to manually eject the disc tray.
Before you begin
- Get a paperclip.
- Turn off the computer, disconnect all cables and transfer the computer to a clear, flat, stable work surface over a non-carpeted floor.
- HP strongly recommends the use of an anti-static wrist strap and a conductive foam pad when working on the computer.
WARNING:The edges of metal panels can cut skin. Be careful not to slide skin along any interior metal edge of the computer.
CAUTION:This product contains components that can be damaged by electrostatic discharge (ESD). To reduce the chance of ESD damage, work over a noncarpeted floor, use a static dissipative work surface (such as a conductive foam pad), and wear an ESD wrist strap connected to a grounded surface.
Opening the tray
Use the following steps, in order, until the door is opened:
WARNING:Make sure the computer is disconnected from power before starting.
- Remove the two screws from the rear cover. Keep the screws for later.
- Remove the rear cover:(1) Pull the rear cover back about ½ in (1.27 cm). If necessary, gently push down on the cover while pulling back.(2) Lift the rear cover and remove it from the chassis.
- Remove the CD/DVD drive from the computer:(1) Remove the ribbon cable from the DVD drive.(2) Lift the CD/DVD drive tab at the left side of the DVD drive.(3) Slide the CD/DVD drive body out from the chassisFigure 3: Removing the DVD drive1 - Ribbon cable2 - CD/DVD drive tab that retains the drive in the bay3 - CD/DVD drive bodyNOTE: For more information about how to remove the CD/DVD drive from the TouchSmart PC, please refer to the HP support document Replacing the CD/DVD Drive .
- Once the drive has been removed, insert a straightened paper clip into the manual release hole and gently press the paperclip inwards until restistance is felt.
- Once resistance is felt, keep pushing the paper clip inwards slowly until the drawer opens a little.
- Remove the paper clip and gently pull out the drawer until the disc is accessible.
- Remove the disc from the DVD drive and close the disc drawer.Now you are ready to replace the DVD drive and rear cover.
Replacing the DVD drive and rear cover
Once you have removed the disc from the DVD drive, you must replace the DVD drive and rear cover before turning on the computer. Use these steps to replace and reconnect the DVD drive:
- Replace and reconnect the DVD drive:(1) Move the DVD cable out of the way and insert the DVD drive. Slide the drive in until the tab catches.(2) Reconnect the DVD drive cable.
- Place the rear cover in the proper position on the chassis and about ½ in (1.27 cm) back from the vertical cover.
- Slide the rear cover toward the front of the chassis until the rear of the cover is flush with the rear area of the chassis.
- Ensure that the holes for the screws align with the holes in the chassis, and then replace the two screws that were removed earlier.