HP Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter - N811a/N811d support
Replacing the Printhead for HP Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter
This document contains steps for replacing the printhead in your HP product.
Important: Do not remove the original printhead until you are ready to install the new printhead. Doing so may result in ink system failures. When you remove the original printhead, insert the new printhead and cartridges within five minutes.
If HP replaces your printhead assembly under warranty, you receive a kit with a new printhead assembly, instructions, and a full set of cartridges. You must install the SETUP cartridges that comes with the new printhead, or a cartridge error might occur.
If your printhead assembly is no longer under warranty, you can purchase a new one online.
- If you are not in the United States, go to the HP How to Buy website , and then click your country-language.
- A Buy HP page displays. Look for the HP Parts store on this page. The location of the HP Parts store varies depending on your region. Click HP Parts store.
- Under Find your part(s), type CR324A (Europe and the Middle East) or CR326A (Japan and Asia Pacific) in the Search by part number text box. Follow the on-screen instructions to order the printhead assembly.
If you are in the United States, go to HP Parts Store website (in English) to buy supplies.
Replacing the printhead
Follow these steps to replace the printhead assembly in the HP product.
Video of how to replace the printhead
The following video demonstrates how to replace the printhead.
NOTE:This video shows an HP Officejet 8100 (N811) printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Step one: Remove the cartridges and the printhead
Follow these steps to remove the cartridges and the printhead.
- Load unused, plain white paper in the input tray.
- Press the Power button () to turn on the product, if it is not already on.
- Open the cartridge access door and the product lid. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage stops in the center of the product before you proceed.
- Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Remove the printhead. You can leave the cartridges in the printhead. Lift the lever on the back right corner of the printhead assembly, and then lift out the printhead.
- Dispose of the printhead:
- If a postage-paid mailing label and a return envelope were included with the new printhead, HP would like to have the old part back for analysis. Please follow the instructions in Step four at the end of this document to return the printhead.
- If no post-paid mailing label came with the new printhead, you can recycle the old part. Put the printhead (with the cartridges still inserted) into a plastic bag, then go to hp.com/recycle for information on recycling the old printhead and cartridges.
Step two: Insert the new printhead
Follow these steps to insert the new printhead into the product.
- Remove the new printhead and cartridges from the plastic packaging.
- Grasp the printhead on both sides with the electrical contacts facing the rear of the product, and then insert the printhead into the carriage.
- Carefully lower the latch handle on the carriage to secure the printhead.
Step three: Insert the new cartridges
Follow these steps to insert the new cartridges.
Important: To avoid startup failures, HP recommends you use the new cartridges that came with the new printhead.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging.
- Slide the new cartridge into its slot, and then gently push it forward until it clicks into place.NOTE:Make sure that the colored dot on the cartridge label matches the colored dot on the slot.CAUTION:Do not lift the latch handle on the carriage to insert cartridges. Doing so could cause the printhead or cartridges to be incorrectly seated, which could damage the print mechanism and cause printing problems.
- Repeat these steps to insert the other cartridges.
- Close the product lid and cartridge access door.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
- Plug the cord back into the wall outlet.
- Press the Power button () to turn on the product.The product starts an initialization process, which takes a few minutes. It is normal for the product to make noises during this process. After the process completes, the product prints an alignment page.
Step four: Return failed parts to HP
If the new printhead assembly came with a post-paid mailing label and instructions to return the failed parts to HP, please do so. HP would like to analyze the parts in order to improve its products in the future.
NOTE:Not all customers will be requested to return the old parts. If the replacement printhead assembly came without a post-paid return mailing label, ignore the rest of this section.
- Place the ink absorbing pad in the plastic package that the new printhead came in.
- Place the old printhead, with the cartridges still installed, in the plastic package and then close the package.
- Put the old parts and the form that came with the new parts into the box the new parts came in. If possible, also include a print sample showing the issue with the old printhead.
- Close the box, apply the post-paid mailing label, and put in the mail.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum