How to Identify the Motherboard
This document only pertains to HP and Compaq desktop computers that came with Windows Vista.
To find the name of the motherboard that is installed in your computer, go to your computer's Customer Care support site to find the product specification and motherboard specification documents listed in the Product Information section. If you are not already on your computer's site, use the following steps to get there:
- Go the HP Customer Care home page: HP Customer Care page
- Type the model number of your computer into the field and click Next .
- Click the Product Information link.
- Look in the Product Information section.
- In the list, find a product specification document that contains the name of the motherboard. You will also find a motherboard specification document that contains the name of the motherboard and detailed information about the system components on your motherboard.
If more than one motherboard is listed in the product specifications or more than one motherboard specification document appears in the list, then HP used more than one type of motherboard when manufacturing your PC model. To find out exactly which motherboard is installed in your computer, use the following steps:
- Make sure the Windows desktop is showing.
- Press CTRL + ALT + S .An HP Support Information window opens.
- With the Support Information window open, press CTRL + SHIFT + S .Another HP Support Information window opens.
- Write down the name of the motherboard.
- Close the window. You can use the name of the motherboard to find the correct motherboard specification document.
Other solutions customers found helpful
Related support links
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum