Setup and Configure Multiple Displays with EyeFinity
This document pertains to HP Envy 14 and HP Envy 17 Series Notebook PCs.
ATI EyeFinity Multi-Display Technology allows the Envy 17 to support up to three external displays simultaneously and cooperatively. Support is available for Duplicated (Clone) and Extended multiple monitor modes, with new support for the capability to group displays into a massive single large surface spanning across multiple displays for use with your desktop workspace, video playback, with support for both windowed, full screen, and 3D applications.
NOTA:Up to two DVI, HDMI, or VGA display outputs can be combined with DisplayPort outputs for a total of up to three monitors, depending on the graphics card configuration and the operating system. Wider display connectivity is possible by using display output adapters that support active translation from DisplayPort to DVI or VGA. For more information, please see the EyeFinity web site .
Reasons for having multiple displays:
- Dramatically improve your ability to create and edit images, movies, music, web sites, and spreadsheets.
- Multiple applications can run across all three displays without constant minimization or resizing.
Envy 17 EyeFinity Checklist
The following are required before using EyeFinity:
- Update the BIOS: A BIOS update may be available and most known issues have been resolved with the latest F.13 update (Ex. Flickering, Lockups/ Hangs)
- Update Graphics Driver: Update the driver to the latest version available. With EyeFinity, the span for specific issues grows making updates more important.
- Check Monitors: All monitors don't have to be the same brand, type, or size, but all do need to support the same resolution.
- DisplayPort: If one of the monitors does not have a DisplayPort and you are using a resolution over 1280x1024, an active (powered) adapter will be required.A list of ATI Validated Adapters can be found here: EyeFinity Dongles .
The following are hardware requirements for using EyeFinity on the HP Envy 17 notebook:
- Two or Three External Displays (One using the DisplayPort)
- Orientation adjustable (landscape and portrait)
- Minimal Bezel Thickness (For best results)
- Any necessary adapters to connect the display to the notebookExamples of adapters:
- If you purchased three HP LP2475W displays, you need one adapter:
- 1 DVI to VGA adapter (the display does not include VGA),or
- 1 Mini Display Port to Display Port Adapter (or Mini to Standard cable)
Use EyeFinity to set up multiple displays by following the steps below.
- Connect the displays to the notebook or docking station with the respective cables.
- Click Start , enter ATI Catalyst in the search field, and select ATI Catalyst Control Center when it becomes available in the search list. EyeFinity Mode is now enabled.
- You will be prompted to set up individual displays. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Your monitors should now be set up and functioning.
When looking at several web pages and video, the monitor(s) may flicker. To resolve this issue, uninstall the HP Display Driver for ATI Catalyst Driver.
When using an active display adapter and the high graphics or frame rate occur, the screen will go black. The active display adapter is powered by the computer's USB power. To resolve this black screen issue, unplug the connector from the USB 3.0 port and plug it into a USB 2.0 port.
When using an HDMI to DVI converter with a Mini DP to DP adapter, due to how close all 3 display outputs are to each other, using converters in some cases can cause issues. To resolve this, do not apply pressure.
The recommended active DisplayPort adapter is the Accell B087B-003J Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link Adapter. It allows the use of an HDMI converter, if needed, and does not require a Mini DP to DP Adapter.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Can you span Blu-Ray movies across multiple displays?A. Not at this time, but it may be available in a future update.
- Q. Can you use your notebook's display in addition to the three external displays?A. The total number of displays usable at a time is three. You can use your notebook display if you only have two external displays but it is not recommended. If you have three external displays connected, your notebook display will need to be disabled while in EyeFinity mode.
- Q. Do the external displays have to be the same type/size?A. No, as long as you can connect it to the notebook, you will be able to use it. But the overall experience may be affected by the individual specifications of the display.
- Q. How difficult is the setup process?A. The software and hardware setup process is designed for the advanced PC skills.
- The current version of the ATI software application interface offers a large number of possible hardware options, and it is difficult to predict and explain every possible step necessary to create an EyeFinity single large surface.
- Due to the availability of many hardware options, you may need to be familiar with unique dongles and adapters, different monitors and resolutions, and how to interface all the components together with the bundled ATI software.
- Because of these challenges, EyeFinity technology is recommended for PC experts looking to take advantage and experiment with the latest and greatest features available.
Collegamenti per il supporto
Forum dell'assistenza HP
Trova soluzioni e collabora con altri nel Forum dell'assistenza HP