Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 8)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq Desktop computers with Windows 8.
HP Support Assistant is a software program designed to help you keep your computer in working order, prevent potential problems from arising, and resolve problems quickly and easily. The program also provides valuable system information that you need when troubleshooting computer problems.
This document describes how to use the HP Support Assistant software to learn more about your computer and keep it running smoothly.
Downloading and Installing the latest version of HP Support Assistant
Before using the HP Support Assistant, be sure you are using the latest version. Many issues with HP Support Assistant can be resolved by If you do not have the latest version, or you are experiencing problems with HP Support Assistant, download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant from the HP Self-Support Web page.
NOTE:To find the version of HP Support Assistant you are using, click About , and then click Check for latest version .
Opening HP Support Assistant
To open HP Support Assistant, complete the following steps:
- Press the Windows + Q key.
- Type HP Support Assistant into the Search field.
- Click HP Support Assistant from the list of results.
The first time you open HP Support Assistant, a welcome screen displays.
Use this screen to set how HP Support Assistant handles updates, whether a taskbar icon or pop-ups are displayed, and to share anonymous usage data with HP. Remove the check next to Show this screen when I open HP Support Assistant to avoid seeing this window in the future.
The HP Support Assistant main page displays the following eight categories:
- My computer
- Updates and tune-ups
- Internet and security
- Contact technical support
- Audio and video
- Storage, backup and recovery
- Printers and accessories
Changing the settings of HP Support Assistant
You can change when HP Support Assistant installs updates, performs tune-ups, and check warranty status. To change the settings, click Settings at the top of the HP Support Assistant window.
You can change the following settings:
- Options for installing updates:
- Install all updates automatically. (Recommended)
- Install only important updates automatically.
- Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them.
- Never check for updates or messages. (Not recommended)
- Schedule the day of the week and the time for HP Support Assistant to check for updates and messages.
- Change the frequency of HP Support Assistant tune-ups. You can choose between every month, two months, three months, or never.
- Set the tasks that HP Support Assistant performs during a tune-up, such as setting a restore point, emptying the recycle bin, clearing Internet Explorer's temporary Internet files, and clearing the computer's Temporary folder.
- Check warranty status.
- Choose whether HP Support Assistant notifies you with a taskbar icon and pop-up messages.
- Turn on or off the welcome screen when you open HP Support Assistant.
My computer category of HP Support Assistant
Use the My computer category to view system information, user guides, warranty status, and installed software and drivers.
The System information tab of the My computer category in Support Assistant shows information about your computer, such as product name, serial number, product number, and hard drive capacity. Click Access online resources for your PC to go to the HP Support and troubleshooting page for your computer.
Updates and tune-ups category of HP Support Assistant
Click the Updates and tune-ups button to check for HP updates and messages and Windows updates, perform a tune-up, and view the action log.
The HP updates tab of the Updates and tune-ups button category in Support Assistant lists updates that have been found but not installed.
Follow these steps to check for updates from HP:
- Click the HP updates tab to view available updates.
- To check for recent updates, click Check for HP updates now .HP Support Assistant connects to the HP servers and downloads any messages or updates that are available.
- Any available updates appear in HP Support Assistant. Follow the on-screen instructions to read install any updates.
The HP messages tab of the Updates and tune-ups button category in Support Assistant lists messages that have been found but not installed.
Follow these steps to check for messages from HP:
- Click the HP messages tab of theUpdates and tune-ups button category in Support Assistant to view available messages.
- To check for recent messages, click Check for HP messages now .HP Support Assistant connects to the HP servers and downloads any messages that are available.
- Any available messages appear in HP Support Assistant.
The Tune-up tab of the Updates and tune-ups button category in Support Assistant enables you to set the tune-up schedule and select the tasks to be performed during a tune-up.
To use the Tune-up tool to keep your computer running smoothly, complete the following steps:
- Select how often to perform a tune-up in the Frequency drop-down list.
- Toggle the button to Yes next to the tasks that you want performed during a tune-up.
- If you have made any changes to the settings, click Save .
- Click the Start tune-up now button.NOTE:At least one of the tune-up tasks must be set to Yes for this button to be enabled.
- In the confirmation window, click Start now .NOTE:Tune up might take several hours to complete. You might want to adjust some settings before running tune up.
The Settings for updates and messages tab of the Updates and tune-ups button category in Support Assistant enables you to change update and message settings. You can choose how HP Support Assistant handles updates and schedule when it checks for updates and messages.
Internet and security
The Internet and security category provides Internet connection and security status, as well as access to the HP Network Check. The Internet and security button on the HP Support Assistant main page displays current Internet and security status.
The Security status tab of the Internet and security category in Support Assistant lists various security tools and settings and indicates the status of each.
The Security status page displays a green check mark next to each item with a secure status.
When HP Support Assistant detects security risks, it displays a red triangle with an exclamation mark.
Contact technical support
Click the Contact technical support category on the HP Support Assistant main page to display contact options and hours of operations.
HP Support Assistant automatically detects the status of the computer warranty.
To display contact options and hours, select your country or region from the drop-down list, and then click Next . HP Support Assistant displays the contact options available to you.
Audio and video
The Audio and video category displays specifications for the audio device and display adapter, as well as a link to the HP Graphics Video Check.
The Performance category of Support Assistant displays the Windows Experience Index, available disk space, installed memory, the current power plan, and the date and time.
Storage, backup and recovery
The Storage, backup and recovery category provides information and resources about the hard drives, backup and recovery, memory, optical drives (CD and DVD drives) and flash media.
Printers and accessories
The Printers and accessories category provides information and resources for printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, touchpads, and other peripherals.