Setting Up Your HP Tablet (Android 4.1/Jelly Bean)
This document applies to tablets with Android 4.1/Jelly Bean operating system.
This document provides information about setting up your HP tablet for the first time, setting up the Internet connection, and adding your Google Account. A wireless Internet connection is required to complete the setup process.
Setting up your HP tablet for the first time
Complete the following steps to set up the tablet:
- Unpack the box and remove any packaging material from the tablet and power supply.
- Assemble the power adapter, if necessary. Align the plug attachment over the adapter base, with the metal prongs facing out and the arrows pointing in the same direction. Drop the tabs on the sides of the plug attachment into the slots on the adapter. Slide the plug attachment in the direction of the arrows until you hear a loud click.
- Connect the micro USB cable to the tablet and to the power adapter.
- Connect the power adapter to a power outlet.
- Remove the protective film from the tablet screen.
- To turn on the tablet, press and hold the power button until the HP logo appears on the screen.
After turning on the tablet, a Welcome screen displays. Continue with the setup process.
Step 1: Selecting your preferred language on your HP tablet
Select your preferred language on the welcome screen.
- Scroll through the language menu until your preferred language is highlighted.NOTE:If your preferred language does not appear in the list, you can install the language after completing setup. Search for the language in the Google Play Store (in English), download the language, and then follow the steps in the HP support document Changing Languages on Your HP Tablet to begin using the language.
- Touch Start.
Step 2: Setting up a Wi-Fi connection on your HP tablet
A wireless Internet connection is needed to set up the tablet. Use the following steps to connect to a Wi-Fi network your tablet:
NOTE:Some Wi-Fi networks (in hotel rooms, for example) feature an online sign-in page that requires you to access the Internet in order to sign in. When connecting to Wi-Fi for the first time (during the setup process), do not use a Wi-Fi network that features an online sign-in page.
- On the Select Wi-Fi screen, touch your Wi-Fi network in the list of available networks.NOTE:If you are trying to connect to a hidden Wi-Fi network during the setup process, and the tablet does not discover or connect to the network, temporarily unhide the network until setup is complete.
- Touch in the Password field to display the on-screen keyboard.
- Use the on-screen keyboard to enter your password, and then touch Connect.
You may need to manually input your tablet's MAC address in the configuration page of your wireless router, if MAC address filtering is enabled on the router. The address is not listed on the tablet exterior or packaging, and cannot be accessed without first setting up the tablet. When initially setting up your tablet, use a Wi-Fi connection that does not require MAC address entry, or temporarily change your router's security settings to allow the tablet to connect.
After setting up the tablet, use the following steps to find your tablet's MAC address:
Step 3: Signing in with a Google account on your HP tablet
Using a Google Account is critical for getting the most out of your tablet. Without a Google Account, the tablet is limited in functionality; you cannot use most Google apps or download new apps from the Google Play Store without a Google Account.
When you sign in using your primary Google Account email address and password, you are automatically signed in to all the Google sites and services associated with that account (for example, Gmail and Google Play). After adding an account during the initial setup, additional accounts can be added to the tablet. See the HP support document Creating and Using Accounts on Your HP Tablet for more information.
Use the steps in one of the following sections to sign in to your tablet with an existing Google Account, a new Google Account, or without using a Google Account:
If you already have a Google Account that you want to use on your tablet, use the following steps to sign in:
- On the Got Google? screen, touch Yes.
- On the Sign in screen, touch inside the Email field to display the on-screen keyboard for text entry. Enter your primary Google Account email address and password using the on-screen keyboard.NOTE:By signing in, you are agreeing to multiple Terms of Service and Privacy Policies from Google, Chrome, and Google Play. To read the full text of any of these agreements, touch the links on the Sign in screen.
- The option to Keep me up to date with news and offers from Google Play is selected by default. If you do not want to receive emails about Google Play at your Gmail address, touch the check mark to remove the selection.
- Touch the forward arrow at the bottom of the screen to sign in. Read and respond to any additional offers from Google, and then continue to Step 4 in the setup process.NOTE:Step 4 (Setting backup, restore, and location preferences) applies to existing Google Accounts only.
If you do not have a Google Account, or if you want to create a new account, use the following steps to sign in:
- On the Got Google? screen, touch No.
- On the Make it Google screen, touch Get an account.
- Use the on-screen keyboard to type your first and last name in the provided fields, and then touch the forward arrow.
- On the Choose username screen, type your desired username. Your Google username is also your Gmail address. Touch the forward arrow when complete.
- Wait while Google checks the availability of the username. If the username is not available, type a new username.
- Create a password for your new Google Account. Re-type the password to confirm, and then touch the forward arrow.
- Enter your recovery information, and then touch the forward arrow.
- If you want to set up a Google+ profile, touch Join Google+, and follow the on-screen instructions. You can join Google+ at any time after creating the account. To skip this step, touch Not now.
- On the Finish account screen, choose your account preferences, and read the service, privacy, and policy notices provided by Google. Touch the forward arrow to progress to the next screen.
- Authenticate your account by typing the text you see on the screen. When finished, touch the forward arrow.
- Read and respond to any additional offers from Google.
- Select your Google & location preferences, and then touch the forward arrow. Skip to Step 5 .NOTE:Step 4 (Setting backup, restore, and location preferences) applies to existing Google Accounts only. If you are signing in with a new Google Account, continue to Step 5 .
Signing in without a Google Account on your HP tablet
A Google Account is critical for getting the most out of your tablet. Without a Google Account, the tablet is limited in functionality; you cannot use most Google apps or download new apps from the Google Play Store without a Google Account. If you are not ready to add a Google Account during the setup process, use the following steps to set up your tablet without adding a Google Account:
NOTE:For instructions to add a Google Account after the setup process is complete, refer to the HP support document Creating and Using Accounts on Your HP Tablet .
- On the Got Google? screen, touch No.
- On the Make it Google screen, touch Not now.
- Select your Google & location preferences, and then touch the forward arrow.
- On the Date & time screen, select your location from the drop-down menu. Touch Current date and select the date, and then touch Current time and select the time. When the settings are correct, touch the forward arrow.
- Enter your first and last name in the provided fields, and then touch the forward arrow.
- Read the terms on the Google services screen. Touch the forward arrow to agree with the terms. Skip to Step 5 .NOTE:Step 4 (Setting backup, restore, and location preferences) applies to existing Google Accounts only. If you are setting up without a Google Account, continue to Step 5 .
Step 4: Setting backup, restore, and location preferences (existing Google Accounts only) on your HP tablet
Choose your preferences for backup, restore, and Google Location as part of the setup process when you set up your tablet using an existing Google Account.
NOTE:These preferences can be reset at any time from the Settings menu. From the Home screen, touch the All apps icon, and then touch the Settings icon. In the Personal section of Settings, touch Location services to change your Google Location preferences, and touch Backup & reset to change your backup preferences.
Backup and restore with a Google account on your HP tablet
Your Google Account can be used to keep your apps, settings (such as bookmarks and Wi-Fi passwords), and other data backed up online. Both backup and restore options are enabled by default. On the Backup and restore screen, choose your preferences for the following settings, and then touch the forward arrow to proceed to the next screen in the tablet setup process.
NOTE:These backup and restore settings do not save files, such as pictures and videos, to your Google Account. For information about backing up your files, refer to the HP support document Transferring and Backing Up Files on Your HP Tablet .
- Restore from my Google Account to this tablet: If you previously backed up data to your Google Account, you can restore all of your saved information, apps, and settings to your new HP tablet. If you have data saved to your account that you do not want copied to your tablet, remove the check mark next to this option.
- Keep this tablet backed up with my Google Account: This option stores data in your Google Account so that it can be accessed from other devices. If you do not want to store data from this tablet, remove the check mark next to this option.
Google & location on your HP tablet
Google Location is a service that uses data from Wi-Fi networks and other sources to help apps determine your approximate location, even when GPS is not available. The data collected by Google Location is anonymous, and some data may be stored on your tablet. Both Google Location options are enabled by default. On the Google Location screen, choose your preferences for the following settings, and then touch the forward arrow to proceed to the next screen in the tablet setup process.
- Use Wi-Fi location: Allows Google's location service to estimate your location and collect anonymous location data. Some data may be stored on your device. Collection may occur even when no apps are running. If you do not want Google Location to collect your location data, remove the check mark next to this option.
- Let Google apps access your location: This option allows Google apps to tailor the content they provide according to your location (for example, Google search results related to your region). If you do not want your location data to be used for this purpose, remove the check mark next to this option.
Step 5: Completing your HP tablet setup
When you reach the Setup complete screen, touch Finish to begin using your tablet.