HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer support
You can use the HP All-in-One to send and receive faxes, including color faxes. You can also print fax confirmation or error reports.
NOTE:Before you begin faxing, make sure you have set up the HP All-in-One properly for faxing.
This document applies to the following products:
- 5610, 5610v, 5610xi
Send a fax
You can send a fax in the following ways:
- From the control panel
- Manually from a phone
- Using monitor dialing
NOTE:If you frequently send faxes to the same numbers, you can set up speed dial entries.
Send a basic fax
To send a single- or multiple-page black-and-white fax by using the control panel, use the following procedure.
NOTE:To send a color or photo fax, see the onscreen HP Image Zone Help.
- Load the originals, with the print side up, into the document feeder tray. If you are sending a single-page fax, such as a photograph, you can also load the original on the glass.
- Press Fax .The Fax Number prompt displays.
- Enter the fax number by using the keypad, press Speed Dial or a one-touch dial button to select a speed dial, or press Redial/Pause to redial the last number dialed.
- Press Start Black .
- If the HP All-in-One detects an original loaded in the automatic document feeder, the HP All-in-One sends the document to the number you entered.
- If the HP All-in-One does not detect an original loaded in the automatic document feeder, the Fax from glass? message displays. Make sure the original is loaded on the glass, and then press 1 to select Yes .
Send a fax manually from a phone
- Load the originals, with the print side up, into the document feeder tray.NOTE:This feature is not supported if you load originals on the glass. You must load the originals in the document feeder tray.
- Dial the number by using the keypad on the phone that is connected to the HP All-in-One.NOTE:You must use the keypad on the phone to dial the number. Do not use the keypad on the control panel of the HP All-in-One.
- If the recipient answers the telephone, you can engage in a conversation before sending the fax.NOTE:If a fax machine answers the call, you will hear fax tones from the receiving fax machine. Proceed to the next step to transmit the fax.
- Once you are ready to send the fax, press Fax on the control panel of the All-in-One.
- When prompted, press 1 to select Send Fax .NOTE:If you were speaking with the recipient before sending the fax, inform the recipient that they should press Start on their fax machine after they hear fax tones.
NOTE:The telephone line is silent while the fax is transmitting. At this point, you can hang up the telephone. If you want to continue speaking with the recipient, remain on the line until the fax transmission is complete.
Send a fax using monitor dialing
Monitor dialing allows you to dial a number from the control panel as you would dial a regular telephone. When you send a fax using monitor dialing, you can hear the dial tones, telephone prompts, or other sounds through the speakers on the HP All-in- One. This enables you to respond to prompts while dialing, as well as control the pace of your dialing.
NOTE:If you want to use monitor dialing to send a fax with a calling card, HP recommends you create a speed dial entry to store the personal identification number (PIN) for your calling card. If you do not store the PIN in a speed dial entry, you might not be able to enter the PIN fast enough. The HP All-in-One might begin transmitting fax tones before you are able to finish entering your PIN, and the call will fail.
NOTE:Make sure the volume is turned on, or you will not hear a dial tone.
- Load the originals, with the print side up, into the document feeder tray. If you are sending a single-page fax, such as a photograph, you can also load the original on the glass.NOTE:If you are sending a multiple-page fax, load the originals in the document feeder tray. You cannot fax a multiple-page document from the glass.
- Press Fax , and then press Start Black or Start Color .
- If the HP All-in-One detects an original loaded in the automatic document feeder, you will hear a dial tone.
- If the HP All-in-One does not detect an original loaded in the automatic document feeder, the Fax from glass? prompt displays. Make sure the original is loaded on the glass, and then press 1 to select Yes .
- Once you hear the dial tone, enter the number by using the keypad on the control panel.
- Follow any prompts that might occur.NOTE:If you are using a calling card to send the fax, when prompted to enter your PIN, press Speed Dial or a one-touch speed dial button to select the speed dial entry where you have your PIN stored.
The fax is sent when the receiving fax machine answers.
Receive a fax
Depending on the Auto Answer setting, the HP All-in-One can receive faxes automatically or manually. If you have set the Auto Answer option set to Off , you will need to receive faxes manually. If the Auto Answer option is set to On (the default setting), the HP All-in-One will automatically answer incoming calls and receive faxes after the number of rings specified by the Rings to Answer setting. (The default Rings to Answer setting is five rings.)
Receive a fax manually
If you set up the HP All-in-One to receive faxes manually (the Auto Answer option is set to Off ) or you answer the phone and hear fax tones, use these instructions to receive faxes.
- Make sure the HP All-in-One is turned on and you have paper loaded in the input tray.
- Remove any originals from the document feeder tray.
- If you are currently on the phone with the sender, instruct the sender to press Start on their fax machine.
- When you hear fax tones from a sending fax machine, do the following:
- Press the Fax button on the control panel of the HP All-in-One.
- When prompted, press 2 to select Receive fax .
- After the HP All-in-One begins to receive the fax, you can hang up the phone.
NOTE:If the phone you are using is on the same phone line as the HP All-in-One, but is not plugged into the "2–EXT" port on the back of the HP All-in-One, you might not be close enough to the HP All-in-One to reach the control panel. If you cannot reach the control panel, wait several seconds, and then press 1 2 3 on the phone. If the HP All-in-One does not begin receiving the fax, wait several more seconds and press 1 2 3 again. After the HP All-in-One begins to receive the fax, you can hang up the phone.
Use the following instructions to cancel a fax you are sending or receiving at any time.
- Stop faxing from the control panelPress Cancel on the control panel to stop a fax you are sending or receiving. Look for the Fax Cancelled message on the color graphics display. If it does not display, press Cancel again.NOTE:The HP All-in-One prints any pages it has already started printing and then cancels the remainder of the fax. This can take a few moments.
- Cancel a number you are dialingPress Cancel to cancel a number you are currently dialing.
Print fax reports
You can set up the HP All-in-One to print error reports and confirmation reports automatically for each fax you send and receive. You can also manually print system reports as you need them; these reports provide useful system information about the HP All-in-One.
Print fax confirmation reports
If you need printed confirmation that the faxes were successfully sent, follow these instructions to enable fax confirmation before sending any faxes. Select either On Fax Send or Send & Receive .
- Press Setup .
- Press 2 , and then press 1 .This displays the Print Report menu and then selects Fax Confirmation .
- Press to highlight one of the following, and then press OK .
|Off||Does not print a fax confirmation report when you send and receive faxes successfully. This is the default setting.|
|On Fax Send||Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send.|
|On Fax Receive||Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you receive.|
|Send & Receive||Prints a fax confirmation report for every fax you send and receive.|
Print fax error reports
You can configure the HP All-in-One so that it automatically prints a report when there is an error during transmission.
- Press Setup .
- Press 2 , and then press 2 .This displays the Print Report menu and then selects Fax Error Report .
- Press to highlight one of the following, and then press OK .
|Send & Receive||Prints whenever there is any kind of fax error. This is the default setting.|
|Off||Does not print any fax error reports.|
|On Fax Send||Prints whenever there is a transmission error.|
|On Fax Receive||Prints whenever there is a receiving error.|
For more information on the system reports you can generate, see the HP Image Zone software Help that came with the HP All-in-One.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP All-in-One and Fax Products -- Using an HP All-in-One or Fax Product on a PBX, ISDN, or DSL Phone System