This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs using Windows Vista
Some CD discs allow you to write data and then erase the data to reuse the disc. These types of discs are identified as CD-RW or DVD-RW discs. The data on a re-writable disc can be erased using either the standard Windows Explorer or most data burning software applications. The first time a re-writable disc is used, some applications may prompt you for the following:
- Choose a name for the disc. You should choose a name that identifies the type of data to be stored on the disc.
- Choose a disc format. When writing data to a new re-writable disc, you may be prompted to select the dics format as follows:
- Live file system: An open format that allows data to be written and erased multiple times. Disc with this format may not be usable in a device with a different type of drive. For example, a music disc created on the computer may not play in a car radio.
- Mastered: A format that allows data to be written to the disc only once. Additional files cannot be added to the disc at a later time.
- Choose a disc erase option. You can choose from the following erase options:
- Quick erase. Clears the disc registry and allows new files to overwrite the existing files.
- Full erase. HP recommends that you do a full erase as it deletes all the files and creates a new empty registry.
Erasing files with Windows Explorer
To erase a file or all the files on a CD/DVD-RW disc, do the following steps.
- Insert the disc in the optical disc drive.
- Click Start , type explorer in the search field, and select Windows Explorer from the list.
- In the left panel, select Computer . The right panel displays all the available disc drives on the computer.NOTE:If an Erase this disc menu option is listed, the disc can be erased and used again. However, if an Erase this disc is not available, the disc cannot be re-written.
- Right click the CD\DVD-RW Drive to view the menu options pop up menu.
- Select Erase this disc and when prompted, click Next to erase the files.
- When the files are erased, the disc can then be used to store more files.
Erasing files with a CD/DVD application software
Most data burning software applications, such as Cyberlink Multimedia Suite or Roxio Easy CD Creator, have a utility to erase all the files on a CD/DVD-RW disc. See the help file in your software for specific instructions.
In general, to erase a CD-RW do the following steps. Insert the disc in the optical disc drive.
- Launch the software application.
- Select the tools or utilities menu item.
- Select the Erase a disc option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Using CyberLink DVD Suite
Use CyberLink Power2Go to erase rewritable discs (CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW).
Using Roxio Easy CD Creator
Previously recorded files on CD-RW, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW discs must be erased before recording new files. CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs cannot be erased. Use these steps to erase a rewritable disc:
- Select Roxio Creator from the autoplay window that opens, or open Roxio Creator by clicking Start , All Programs , Roxio , and then Creator Basic v9 .
- Click Tools and then Erase Disc .
- Then select either Quick Erase or Full Erase . HP recommends that you fully erase the disc.
- Select Continue button to begin the erase operation.
- When the erase operation is complete, this disc is then ready to re-use.