Missing Color, Wrong Color, or Streaks in the Printout
The printer is working, but the colors in the printed output are not the expected colors. The output might look as if only one color printed, a color did not print at all, the wrong colors printed. There might be streaks or lines in the printout.
Follow these steps in the order presented to resolve the issue.
Step one: Check the cartridges, and then check the paper
Follow these steps to make sure that your cartridges are genuine HP cartridges and that you are using appropriate paper for your print job.
- Check your cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.
- Check your paper type. Paper that does not accept ink well can cause printed images to smear or bleed. Plain paper is not the best choice for high-density graphics. Click here to see how to pick the best paper for your project (c00042468) (in English).
Step two: Print a test page
If your cartridges are genuine HP cartridges and the paper is appropriate for your print job, follow these steps to print a test page.
- Load the product with clean, plain white paper
- Follow the steps in one of these documents to print a test page for your product:
- HP Deskjet Printers - How To Print Internal Tests (bpd07098) (in English)
- HP All-in-One Product Family - Printing Self-Test Reports (bpu00734) (in English)
- Evaluate the test page. Different printers produce different pages, but you should recognize elements from these examples on your test page. In general, cartridge and printer problems are indicated by streaks, missing colors, or wrong colors.
- Examples from a good product and cartridges (your test page may not look exactly like this):Figure 1: Solid colors that match color dots on cartridge labelFigure 2: Pattern unbroken, or broken in only a few placesIf your test page looks like these examples, the product and cartridges are probably not the cause of the problem. Click here to continue troubleshooting (c00058188) (in English).
- Examples from a failing product or cartridges - streaked or broken bars or linesIf your test page looks like these examples, you probably have a cartridge that is empty, has clogged nozzles, or dirty contacts. Click here to continue troubleshooting (c00058187) (in English).
- Examples from a failing printer or cartridges - colors do not match the color dots on the cartridge label (Note: do not compare the test page colors to the colors of the examples on this web page. Your monitor may not display the colors properly).If your test page looks like these examples, you probably have a cartridge in which the inks have mixed. Click here to continue troubleshooting (c00058282) (in English).