Setting Up the Printer Hardware for HP Deskjet 720c and 722c Printers
This document explains how to set up a new printer. The entire process takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Since this document contains instructions, you might want to print it out as a reference.
Prepare the printer
Connect the printer cable
NOTE: A parallel printer cable is not supplied with the printer.
A printer cable connects the printer to the computer. Use a high-quality IEEE-1284 Compliant Parallel Interface Cable (C2950A or C2951A).
NOTE: To ensure the best printer-to-computer communication, do not install any device except the printer cable between the computer's interface port and the printer's interface port.
- Make sure that the printer and computer are turned off.
- Lift the cable access door on the back of the printer.
- Connect the printer end of the printer cable firmly to the printer's interface port.
- Snap both clips into the connector's notches.
- Connect the computer end of the printer cable to the computer's interface port. Tighten the screws on the connector.The port and the connector on the printer cable are keyed to fit. Do not force the connector into the port.
Connect the power adapter
- Lift the cable access door, and then plug the power adapter cord firmly into the connector.
- Plug the adapter end of the power cord into the power adapter.
- Plug the other end of the power cord into an electrical outlet.NOTE: Place the power adapter at least 3 cm (approximately 1 inch) away from the computer, disk drive, or hard disk to avoid magnetic interference.
Install the cartridges
- Turn on the printer by pressing and releasing the Power button (the top button). The Power light comes on.
- Open the top cover of the printer. In a few moments, the empty carriages move to the center of the printer and the cartridge light blinks.
- Open the black and color cartridge packaging and remove the protective vinyl tape from both cartridges.NOTE: Be careful not to touch the ink nozzles or the copper contacts.
- Place the black cartridge into the right-hand section of the carriage and push down and forward. Close the green carriage latch.
- Place the color cartridge into the left-hand side of the carriage. Push down and forward. Close the green carriage latch.
- Close the printer's top cover. The carriages return to their home position on the right side of the printer and the Cartridge light turns off.NOTE: If the Cartridge light continues to blink, and if the carriages do not move to the right side of the printer, remove and reinstall the cartridges.
Load the paper
- Pull out the IN drawer and slide the green paper adjusters out as far as possible. (You can flip up the OUT tray to see better).
- Load paper in the IN tray. You can load as much paper as fits comfortably under the tab on the paper-length adjuster.
- Move the paper adjusters in again to fit snugly against the paper’s edges and slide the IN drawer all the way back in. Flip the OUT tray back down if it is up.
Install the printer software
Download and install the latest software driver for your operating system from the HP Web site. Click here to go to the product support page and locate the Software and Drivers for your product .
Print a page
You are done setting up your printer. While you still have the HP Toolbox open, you can try printing a page to see what your printer can do.
- On the Printer Services tab of the HP Toolbox, click Print a self-test page.
- Check out the results. You are ready to print your own work.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Single-Function Printers -- The Driver for Your Product Is Included in the Windows Vista Operating System
HP Single-Function Printers -- Installing the Printer Software in Windows 7 for a USB Cable Connection