Aligning the Cartridges: Windows
This document applies to the HP Deskjet 810C, 830C, 840C, 880C, and 895C printers.
This document explains how and when to align the cartridges in a Windows operating system.
If the print driver from the Add Printer Wizard was installed in Windows 2000, the alignment is done in the printer Properties.
- Click Start, click Settings, and then click Printers.
- Right-click the HP Deskjet icon.
- Click Properties, and then click Services.
- Click Align the cartridges. The printer aligns the cartridges and prints an alignment page.
Follow these steps to align the cartridges in a Windows operating system.
- Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
- Make sure that plain, white paper is loaded in the paper tray.
- Double-click the HP Toolbox icon. In Windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0, double-click the HP Deskjet 8xxC Series Toolbox icon on the Windows desktop. In Windows 3.1x, double-click the HP Deskjet 8xxC Series Toolbox icon in the HP Deskjet 8xxC program group.
- Select the Printer Services tab, and then select Align the print cartridges.
- Click Align. The printer aligns the cartridges, and an alignment page prints.
- The Align Print Cartridges screen displays on your computer.Examine the alignment page, and then identify the best-aligned pattern in each of the four sets.On the computer, click the pattern numbers in each set that you chose on the alignment page.
- Click Continue. Your printer prints another alignment page. The lines in these patterns should be straight.
- If the lines are straight, click Done. Otherwise, click Align, and then repeat these steps to align the cartridges again. The printer might need to align the cartridges several times to restore print quality.
When should I align the cartridges?
- As a final step in setting up your printer
- Whenever you install a new cartridge
- If the colored ink and black ink do not line up on the printed page
- If you have deleted and reinstalled the printer driver software