Replacing the HP Officejet 4100 Series Ink Cartridges
This document describes how to replace the ink cartridges in the HP Officejet 4100 series products. This information is also covered in Chapter 7: Maintain Your HP Officejet in the Basic Guide and in the Onscreen Help files.
Supported HP Inkjet cartridge part numbers
The HP Officejet 4100 all-in-one series products use the ink cartridges listed in the table below.
|HP Inkjet cartridges|
|HP 56 black cartridge (19 ml)|
|HP 57 tri-color cartridge (17 ml)|
|HP 28 tri-color cartridge (8 ml)|
Replacing the ink cartridges
The power must be turned ON to the all-in-one or the print carriage will not move to the right.
- Locate and open the print cartridge access door on the right side of the all-in-one. The print cartridge carriage will move to the right for access.
- Press down gently on the top of the old ink cartridge to release it from the print carriage.
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging and remove the protective tape from the cartridge as shown in Figure 3. Do not touch the gold-colored contacts.
- Holding the ink cartridge with the printed label up, slide the cartridges one at a time into the print carriage and press them into position as shown in Figure 4. If the cartridge does not snap easily into position, it is not aligned correctly. Remove the cartridge and reposition it. Do not try to force the cartridge into position. The black ink cartridge (HP #56) goes on the right side and the color cartridge (HP #57 or HP #28) goes on the left side. Close the ink cartridge access door when the ink cartridge has been installed.
- A message will appear on the front panel requesting that the ink cartridges be aligned. Follow the steps below to align the ink cartridges:Press Enter on the all-in-one front panel to start the ink cartridge alignment process.After the Alignment page prints, place the page into the ADF upside down and with the printed side down as is shown in Figure 5.Press Enter. The all-in-one will scan the alignment page and finish aligning the cartridges.
Correcting error messages that appear after changing a cartridge
After inserting the cartridge, the Check Print Cartridge light flashes or one of the following messages appears on the computer monitor:
- Check the black (or color) cartridge
- Replace the black (or color) cartridge
- The wrong black (or color) cartridge is installed
These messages indicate that the ink cartridge is not making good electrical contact, is bad, or is the wrong cartridge. Complete the following steps to diagnose and correct the condition:
- Open the front of the unit to access the print cartridges (as shown in Figure 1).
- Remove the ink cartridge and inspect it.
- Verify that it is the correct part number and if it is, reinsert it.
- Close the lid to see if the problem is corrected.
- If the message is still displayed after a few seconds, remove the ink cartridge again.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the unit.
- Clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge with a soft clean cloth slightly dampened (not wet) with clean water. (See Figure 6) Each contact is very small and shaped like a rounded square.
- Allow the ink cartridge to dry for a few minutes before reinserting the cartridge(s) and turning on the printer.
- If the problem remains, replace the ink cartridge.
- If the problem still exists after trying all of the steps above, the unit may need to be serviced. Contact HP for further troubleshooting or to arrange to have the unit serviced.