Setting Up the Camera
This document describes how to set up your HP PhotoSmart 618 Digital Camera for use. Figures 1, 2, and 3 show front, back, and top views of the camera, as well as a list of camera functions.
Figure 1: HP PhotoSmart 618 Digital Camera, front view
1 - Microphone
2 - Viewfinder
3 - Flash
4 - Infrared window
5 - Lens
Figure 2: HP PhotoSmart 618 Digital Camera, back view
1 - Memory card access LED
2 - Diopter control
3 - Viewfinder
4 - Viewfinder LEDs
5 - Power switch (ON/OFF)
6 - Zoom lever
7 - DISPLAY button
8 - MENU button
9 - Soft keys
10 - Image LCD
11 - 4-way controller
12 - Memory card compartment
13 - Send button
14 - Speaker
15 - Sound record button
Installing the batteries
Your HP 618 camera uses 4 AA (1.5 Volts) photo lithium, high drain alkaline, or NiMH batteries. A set of 4 non-rechargeable batteries was included with your camera.
CAUTION: Use only AA photo lithium, high drain alkaline, or NiMH batteries in your camera. Replace all 4 batteries at the same time; do not replace the batteries individually. Always follow the instructions on the battery package when handling, recharging, or disposing of batteries.
To install the batteries:
- Turn the camera over to access the battery compartment on the bottom of the camera.
- Push the black lock on the battery door to unlock the battery compartment.
- Use a fingertip in the recessed lip on the side of the battery compartment to open the battery door.Refer to the small diagram inside the battery compartment to load the batteries, making sure the +/- electrodes are facing in the proper direction.
- Close the battery door by pushing it down until the batteries are compressed and the battery door is flush with the camera bottom.
- Lock the battery door.Note that the battery life in your digital camera depends on several factors, including:The number of pictures you take.Whether or not you use the flash.How often and how long you use the image LCD.Cold temperature conditions. (Operating the camera at colder temperatures results in shorter battery life.)
To preserve battery life, use the HP-approved AC power adapter with your camera. See Appendix B in the HP PhotoSmart 618/618xi Digital Camera User’s Guide for the HP AC power adapter that you can use with your camera.
NOTE: An AC power adapter provides power to the camera - it does not recharge the batteries.
Installing the memory card
Your camera uses a removable, reusable CompactFlash memory card as its “film.” A CompactFlash memory card was included with your camera. To install the memory card:
- Slide the memory card door to the left until the door pops open. (The memory card door is located on the far-left side when you are looking at the back of the camera.)
- Swing the door toward the back of the camera to prop it open.
- Orient the camera so that you are looking at the memory card slot in the side of the camera, with the back of the camera pointing up.
- Insert the memory card into the slot so that its labeled top faces up, and the edge with the pinholes is inserted into the camera first.
- Gently push the memory card all the way into the slot until the card stops and the memory card release button slides forward.
- Close the memory card door.
CAUTION: Make sure the camera is powered off any time you remove the memory card from the camera.
To remove the memory card from the camera, open the memory card door and push the memory card release button to eject the card. Grasp the card by its side edges and pull it out of the slot.
Using the camera modes
Your camera comes equipped with four modes. To set the mode, turn the camera mode dial to the mode you want to use. Table 1 (below) shows the icon and function for each camera mode.
Table 1: Camera modes
Powering the camera on and off
To power on the camera
Slide the ON/OFF power switch (located on the back of the camera) to the right and then release it. The camera lens extends, and the status LCD turns on and displays the status of the camera. Until you set the date and time on the camera, the image LCD also turns on and displays the Set Date & Time screen. (The next section explains how to set the date and time.)
To power off the camera
Slide the power switch to the right and release it again. The camera lens retracts, and both the status LCD and the image LCD turn off.
NOTE: If the camera is processing images when you power it off, the memory card access LED will blink until the camera has finished saving the images to the memory card. Then the camera will power off.
Setting the Date and Time
The first time the camera is powered on, the Set Date & Time screen appears on the image LCD (located on the back of the camera). The Set Date & Time screen shows the default format for the date and time: MM/DD/YY 12hr (that is, the Month/Day/Year and time).
Press the up or down arrow on the 4-way controller (on the back of the camera) to scroll up or down the list of numbers on the left side of the screen until you reach the number corresponding to the current month. The number in the month field in the center of the screen changes accordingly. When you have selected the number for the month, press the right arrow on the 4-way controller to move to the next field, which is the day field.
Set the day, year, hour, minute, and am/pm fields in the same way. When you have set the date and time, press the right soft key (the three soft keys are located below the image LCD screen) to exit the Set Date & Time screen. The changes you made to the date and time are now saved, and the image LCD turns off.
NOTE: The Set Date & Time screen will appear the next time you power on the camera if you either remove the batteries, or unplug the HP AC power adapter and remove the batteries, for longer than 5 minutes. You will then need to set the date and time again.
Navigating the menus
The Capture, Playback, and Review modes have menus you can use to change camera settings and to edit and organize images. To display the menus on the image LCD, set the camera mode dial to one of these three modes and then press the MENU button (on the back of the camera). Each menu has these parts:
Figure 7: Camera mode menus
1 - Menu icons
2 - Current menu's title
3 - Overlay bar
4 - Menu options
5 - Soft keys
NOTE: The overlay bar displays the soft key labels, which list the functions of the soft keys. Each soft key label correlates to the soft key located directly below it. In the example menu above, no middle soft key label is displayed in the overlay bar because there is no function associated with the middle soft key.
To navigate the menus, do the following:
- To move horizontally across the menus, press the right or left arrow on the 4-way controller. Each menu icon is highlighted and its menu title is displayed as you move across the menus.
- To move to a particular menu option, press the down or up arrow on the 4-way controller.
- To edit the camera settings related to a highlighted menu option, or to select an item from a displayed list, press the left (Edit or Select) soft key.
- To exit the menus, press the right (Exit) soft key.
Setting the language
The camera is initially set to use English as the default language. If you want to use English on your camera, skip this section and go on to the next section. However, if you want to use one of the other languages available on your camera, do the following:
- Set the camera to Capture mode.
- Power on the camera if you haven't already.
- Press the MENU button (located on the back of the camera, near the right edge) to display the Capture mode menus on the image LCD (located on the back of the camera).
- Press the right arrow on the 4-way controller (on the back of the camera) three times to move to the Preferences menu.
- Press the down arrow on the 4-way controller seven times to move to the Language menu option.
- Press the left (Edit) soft key. (The three soft keys are located on the back of the camera, below the image LCD.) The Language submenu is displayed.
- Press the down or up arrow on the 4-way controller to highlight the language you want.
- Press the left (Select) soft key. The checkmark moves to the language you highlighted, and you return to the Preferences menu of Capture mode. The camera is now using the language you set.
- Press the right (Exit) soft key to exit the menu.NOTE: The language setting will remain set on your camera only if you power off the camera by using the power switch.
Using the status LCD
The status LCD (on the top of the camera) turns on every time you power on the camera. You can use the status LCD to assess the current status of the camera and to change some of the camera settings.
To toggle through the auto focus range, timer mode, and flash mode settings within the status LCD, press the auto focus range button, timer mode button, and the flash mode button, respectively. (These three buttons are located on the top of the camera, below the status LCD). Certain icons will appear in the status LCD to indicate these settings.
This example of the status LCD in Figure 8 (below) shows the locations for the auto focus range, timer mode, and flash mode icons, as well as the indicators for the battery status and the pictures remaining on the memory card:
For complete lists of the icons you will see in the status LCD when you set different auto focus range, timer mode, and flash mode settings on the camera, consult the HP PhotoSmart 618 Quick Start Guide.