How Do I Print Envelopes?
What are the steps to feeding envelopes into an HP Photosmart printer?
Some envelope printing software applications require the envelope to be inserted with the flap orientation opposite of that shown on the printer's input tray. Insert the envelope as necessary to get the best results from your application.
Feeding multiple envelopes from the Main Tray
- Lift up the tray cover.
- Remove all media from the input tray.
- Insert envelopes with the flap on the left side and facing up. For best results, place up to 10 envelopes in the tray at one time.
- Slide the envelopes forward until they hit the front of the tray.
- Push the purple width adjuster against the edge of the envelopes. It should rest against the envelopes, but not be so tight that it causes the envelopes to bind or bend.
- Push the purple and gray back edge adjuster sideways until it rests against the edge of the envelopes. (Refer to the section Loading envelopes in the User's Guide.)
- Make one last check to ensure the envelopes are straight and resting against the right edge of the tray.
Feeding one envelope from the Envelope Slot
- Tray cover should be in the down position.
- Make sure that the Photo Tray is not engaged. The purple and gray button inside the opening should be pulled all the way back to the back edge.
- Insert one envelope in the Envelope Slot with the flap on the left side and facing up. See the Note above in positioning the envelope flap.
- Push the envelope forward until it hits the front of the tray.
- If you have any problems inserting the envelope:
- Put your hand on the front edge of the envelope (near the feed slot) to help feed it in.
- Rotating the envelope slightly clockwise, as shown below, may make it easier to feed the envelope.
- Make sure that the envelope is straight and resting against the right edge of the tray.
- If the envelope is slightly skewed or crooked, adjust the envelope until it is completely straight, to minimize the possibility of skewed label prints or jammed envelopes.
- When inserting the envelopetry reversing the flap orientation from that shown on the print tray icon as noted above.
- Tuck the flap of the envelope in to prevent paper jamming.
- Alternatively, cup the end of the envelope in the hand and insert the envelope into the envelope slot, corner first, with the trailing end held slightly to the left. After the envelope corner passes into the slot approximately 1 to 2 inches, move the trailing end to the right until the envelope is perpendicular to the printer.
Begin envelope feed
Cup the envelope in the hand and insert the envelope into the envelope slot, corner first, with the trailing end held slightly to the left. Allow the envelope corner to pass into the slot approximately 1 to 2 inches.
Move to align envelope
Move the trailing end to the right until the envelope is perpendicular to the printer.
Gently feed the envelope straight into the printer until it stops.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Officejet Pro L7500, L7600, and L7700 Series All-in-One Printers -- Addresses are Missing or Misplaced on an Envelope Printed in Windows XP