Updating the BIOS or ROM for Notebooks Running Windows XP
This document includes detailed procedures for checking, downloading, and updating the BIOS or ROM for Compaq Presario and HP Pavilion notebook PCs.
Automatically update your ROM or BIOS using the HP System Health Scan
HP recommends using the HP System Health Scan to determine whether you have the latest version of BIOS software installed on your notebook PC. Click the link below to begin an automated tool that determines the version of your software and drivers and provides links to the latest versions online.
Understanding the different type of BIOS Flash options
BIOS systems can be updated with a process called 'flashing,' and there are different types of flashing utilities that all accomplish the same thing. Close all other programs before trying to flash the BIOS.
- Winflash or HPQFlash is the most commonly used process. Download the file to the hard drive, and double-click the file to start the flash. Read and follow the instructions to complete the flash. Do not use the PC until the flash is complete and the PC is restarted.
- ROM Image is used by companies when they need to update many PCs at the same time. Download the file to the place on the network, then access the file from each PC.
- ROMPaq involves restarting the PC with a bootable disc, CD, or USB key. Download the file to the hard drive, and double-click the file to create a bootable disc. Insert the bootable disk and restart the PC to flash the BIOS during the startup.
Manually update your ROM or BIOS from HP.COM
Before you begin
The following tools and information are needed to perform the steps in this section of the document.
- Model number of the notebook PC
- One blank floppy disk (for some models)
- Pencil and paper
- Print out of this document
Step 1: Find the BIOS version
To check the current BIOS version on the computer, follow the steps below:
- Click Start , and then click Shut Down .
- Select Restart , and then click OK .
- When the first screen appears, press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
- The BIOS revision is listed on the Main menu. Make note of the current BIOS version; you will need this information to determine if a newer revision is available.
- To exit the BIOS setup, press F10 , select Yes , and then press Enter .
Step 2: Check the HP Drivers and Downloads page for BIOS or ROM updates
- Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page , and search for your series and model notebook.
- Select the operating system from the list that you are using. If a BIOS update is available, the update will be listed under the heading ROMPaqs/BIOS and Firmware .
- If you do not see a BIOS update, stop here; the notebook does not require a BIOS update at this time.
- If you do see a BIOS update, proceed to the next step to download and install the BIOS update.
Step 3: Download the BIOS update
- Select the latest BIOS update or ROMPaq in the list by clicking the name of the BIOS update.
- Before downloading the ROMPaq/BIOS update, print the Installation Instructions page in your browser.
- Click the Download Now button on the page to begin the download of the BIOS update.
- Follow the instructions on the page you printed to install the ROMPaq or BIOS update. Not all ROMPaqs are installed the same way.