How to Format a Disc for Use with DLA (Drag and Drop) Software
Before writing to a recordable disc using DLA (recording software for dragging and dropping files directly to disc), the DVD Writer must be enabled for use with DLA and the recordable disc must be formatted. The steps listed below describe how to accomplish this.
Enabling DLA on the DVD Writer
Follow the steps below to ensure the DVD Writer is enabled for use with DLA.
- In Microsoft Windows XP, click Start and then My Computer . All other supported operating systems, double-click My Computer on the desktop.
- Click once on the DVD Writer icon to highlight the drive.
- Click File on the menu bar to display the DLA options for the DVD- Writer (see Figure 1).
Formatting a Disc for use with DLA
After the drive has been enabled, use the following steps to format a recordable disc for use.
- Insert a blank disc (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW) to be formatted into the DVD Writer.
- From within My Computer, highlight the DVD Writer.
- Click File on the menu bar and select Format .
- A box with format options will be displayed. The options available are dependent on the media being formatted and the version of DLA installed. A general description of the options follows.
- Volume Label - Providing a label defines the disc, but is not necessary for the disc to function. The label is what is displayed in My Computer after the disc is formatted.
- Format Type - Quick - DVD+R and CD-R discs can be quick formatted and will format within a minute.
- Format Type - Full - DVD+RW and CD-RW discs must be formatted using this method. The full format pre-allocates the space on the disc for faster access times. The format process can take up to approximately 40 minutes for CD-RW and 90 minutes for DVD+RW discs.
- Compression - Compresses data up to a 2:1 ratio. Compatibility with other systems is lost. The disc can only be read on the computer with the DVD Writer and DLA installed. DLA versions 3.1 to 3.55 have the compression option. DLA versions 3.59 and later do not have the compression option.
- With the Volume Label entered and options selected, click Start to initiate the format process.
- Once the format process is completed, use standard copy and paste or drag and drop procedures to copy information from the hard drive to the recordable disc.