Replacing the Printheads or Cartridges for HP Officejet D and 7100 Series
This document provides information on how to replace a printhead or ink cartridge.
A printhead may need replacing when print quality issues cannot be resolved by cleaning the printheads or a front-panel display message indicates a printhead needs to be replaced.
An ink cartridge needs replacing when a front-panel display message indicates either:
- Low ink levels
- Ink cartridge approaching expiration date
CAUTION:Never remove an ink cartridge and a printhead at the same time.
NOTE:HP has developed a short video to assist in completing this procedure. Viewing this video requires Microsoft Windows 98 or newer with Microsoft Internet Explorer, and a high-speed Internet connection. Click here to view the Replace Printhead and Ink Cartridges video .
Printhead and ink cartridge part numbers
Use the table below to identify the correct ink cartridge part number:
|Ink cartridge||Part number|
|HP 14 black print cartridge||C5011A|
|HP 14 tri-color print cartridge||C5010A|
Use the table below to identify the correct printhead part number:
|HP 14 black printhead||C4920A|
|HP 14 cyan printhead||C4921A|
|HP 14 magenta printhead||C4922A|
|HP 14 yellow printhead||C4923A|
Replacing the ink cartridges
Follow the instructions below to replace the ink cartridges:
- Turn on the unit, and open the print-carriage access door by lifting the handle until the door locks into place.Figure 1: Opening the access door
- The print carriage will move to the center of the unit.After the print carriage stops, remove the ink cartridge by pressing the gray release button, then lifting the cartridge up and out of its slot.Removing the ink cartridge
- Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, remove the tape.Figure 3: Removing the tape
- With the ink cartridge label face-up, push the new ink cartridge firmly down into the appropriate slot until it clicks into place.The color ink cartridge inserts into the right-hand slot as indicated by the rainbow colored oval.Inserting the new cartridge
- Close the print carriage access door.CAUTION:If the ink cartridge is removed before a replacement is available, close the print carriage access door and replace the ink cartridge within 24 hours.
Identifying parts of the printheads
Replacing the printheads
Follow the instructions below to replace the printheads:
CAUTION:To avoid damaging the printer, remove a printhead only when a replacement is available.
- Turn on the unit, and open the print-carriage access door by lifting the handle until the door locks into place.Figure 5: Opening the access door
- The print carriage will move to the center of the unit. After the print carriage stops, release the gray print carriage latch and lift upward to access the printheads.Figure 6: Releasing the latch
- Remove the old printhead by lifting the printhead handle and pulling upward.Figure 7: Removing the printhead
- Being careful to touch only the black plastic remove the new printhead from the packaging and gently remove the plastic tape.Figure 8: Removing the tape
- Using the printhead handle, push the new printhead firmly down into the appropriate slot; matching the color on the top of the printhead to the color on the printhead carriage.CAUTION:Do not touch the printhead tower, and do not remove the printhead handle.Figure 9: Inserting the printhead
- Move the print carriage latch down, and make sure the loops catch the hooks. Snap the latch into place, and close the print carriage access door.Figure 10: Closing the print carriage latch
- After the message to align the printheads appears in the front panel display, press Enter. A page prints to confirm alignment.
Aligning the printheads
Aligning the printheads ensures high-quality output.
The HP Officejet front panel display will prompt for a printhead alignment every time a new printhead is installed.
Align the printheads when prompted by pressing Enter.
To align the printheads at any other time:
- Press Menu.
- Press 7, then 3. (For the HP Officejet D 125xi press 3, then 3 again)A page prints to confirm printhead alignment.
Performing a color calibration
This procedure should be performed when:
- A noticeable problem occurs with the color tints
- A printhead has been replaced
- Press Menu.
- Press 7, then 4 (for the HP Officejet D 125xi press 3, then 4.)A color calibration report will print.
- Follow the instructions on the report to determine the correct number and enter that number on the keypad.
- Press Enter.To cancel the calibration without entering a number, press Cancel.
Checking the ink level
The ink supply level can easily be checked from the front panel.
- Press Menu.
- Press 7, then 1. (For the HP Officejet D 125xi press 3, then 1)The display will indicate how much ink is remaining for both the black and color ink cartridges.
- Press Cancel to exit the menu.