HP PSC 1400 All-in-One Printer Series- Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Attach the control panel overlay, if not attached
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn the product on
- Load plain white paper
- Insert the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
- Remove all of the packing tape from the outside of the product.
- Lower the paper tray, and then lower the access door.
- Remove the shipping material and components from the inside of the product.
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Attach the control panel overlay, if not attached
- Hold the control panel overlay with the printed side facing you and gently bend the bottom tab of the control panel overlay away from you.
- Remove the bottom tab and the backing from the overlay.
- Lift the lid of the product. Attach the overlay to the control panel.
- Press down on the overlay to make sure it is firmly attached.
Step four: Connect the power cord and adapter
- Plug the printer end of the power adapter into the back of the printer.
- Plug the adapter end of the power cord into the power adapter.
- Plug the remaining end of the power cord into a grounded wall outlet or surge protector.
Step five: Turn the product on
Press the On/Resume button to turn the product on.
After you press the button, the green light flashes, and then becomes solid. This might take up to a minute.
Step six: Load plain white paper
- Open the paper tray door.
- Pull the paper tray extender toward you, as far as it will go. Flip the paper catch at the end of the paper tray extender to open the extender the rest of the way.NOTE:Legal paper might get caught on the paper tray extender if it is fully extended when you print onto legal paper. To avoid a paper jam when using legal-size paper, do not open the paper tray extender.
- Squeeze and hold the tab on the top of the paper-width guide, then slide the paper-width guide to its outermost position.
- Tap a stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges, and then check the paper for the following:
- Make sure it is free of rips, dust, wrinkles, and curled or bent edges.
- Make sure all the paper in the stack is the same size and type.
- Insert the stack of paper into the paper tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops. Do not force the paper too far forward into the tray.NOTE:If using letterhead, insert the top of the page first with the print side down. For more help on loading full-size paper and letterhead, refer to the diagram engraved in the base of the paper tray.Squeeze and hold the tab on the top of the paper-width guide, then slide the paper-width guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper.Do not overload the paper tray. Make sure that the stack of paper fits within the paper tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
Step seven: Insert the cartridges
- Lower the access door until it stops.Make sure the carriage moves to the center.
- Pull the pink tab to remove the protective tape from both cartridges.
- Insert the tri-color cartridge in the left slot of the carriage, and then push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.
- In the same way, insert the black cartridge in the right slot of the carriage.
- Close the access door.
Step eight: Align the cartridges
After you insert the cartridges, a cartridge alignment page prints. This might take a few minutes.
- Lift the lid of the product.
- Place the top of alignment page face down in the left front corner of the glass.
- Close the lid.
- Press the Scan button.
- After the On/Resume light stops blinking, alignment is complete.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP Web site. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.