Install Ink Cartridges
This document explains how to install new ink cartridges or replace empty ink cartridges.
Install ink cartridges
Follow the steps below to install or replace the ink cartridges.
- Make sure that the power is on, then lift the top cover.
- Make sure all packing material has been removed from inside the printer.
- Raise the printer cover.
- Squeeze the gray tab below an ink cartridge slot to release the gray latch inside the printer, then lift the latch.Figure 2: Releasing the latch for the black ink cartridge1 - Ink cartridge latch for the black ink cartridge2 - Ink cartridge area for the color ink cartridgesThe ink cartridge areas are color-coded for easy reference. Lift the latch below the appropriate color to insert or replace a cartridge. From left to right, the ink cartridges are black, yellow, light cyan, cyan, light magenta, and magenta (see Figure 1 for reference).
- If you are replacing a cartridge, remove the old cartridge by pulling it toward you out of its slot.
- Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging, and then, holding it by the handle, slide the ink cartridge into the empty slot. Make sure you insert the ink cartridge into the slot that has the same shaped icon and color as the new cartridge.NOTE:The first time you set up and use your HP Photosmart printer, make sure to install the ink cartridges that were shipped with your printer. The ink in these ink cartridges is specially formulated to mix with the ink in the print head assembly.NOTE:The copper-colored contacts should be facing the printer as the ink cartridge is inserted.
- Press down on the gray latch until it clicks into place.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 for each ink cartridge you are replacing.NOTE:You must install all six cartridges. The printer will not work if an ink cartridge is missing.
- Close the top cover. When no memory card is inserted, the printer screen displays six ink drop icons showing the approximate ink level for each cartridge.NOTE:You can also press the Right arrow button next to the Select Photos button to see a larger, more accurate view of the ink levels.NOTE:If you are using non-HP ink, a question mark appears instead of the ink drop in the icon for that cartridge. The HP Photosmart 8200 series printers cannot detect the amount of ink remaining in ink cartridges that contain non-HP ink.NOTE:HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP ink. Printer service or repairs required as a result of printer failure or damage attributable to the use of non-HP ink will not be covered under warranty.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Photosmart D7100 and D7300 Printer Series, and HP Photosmart 8250 Printer -- 'Ink Cartridge(s) are Expired' Message Displays on the Control Panel Display