Error in Windows XP: 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
Error opening DOS or 16-bit software programs
One of the following errors occur when attempting to open an MS-DOS or 16-bit software program:
16-bit Windows Subsystem - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
16-bit Windows Subsystem - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\autoexec.net. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications
This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing or damaged:
Resolving the error
Use the following steps to resolve this error:
NOTE:The following steps require administrative permissions (for read-only files) or the files will be removed after you restart Windows.
- Click Start, Run, and type the following in the Open field: c:\windows\repair.
- Click OK.
- Right-click Autoexec.nt and click Copy.
- Click Start, Run, and type the following in the Open field: c:\windows\system32.
- Click OK.If the file is hidden click Show the contents of this file.
- In the system 32 window, right-click autoexec.nt, select rename, and then rename the file to autoexect.bak.
- Right-click in a blank area in the system32 window and click Paste.
- Right-click the copied autoexec.nt file, in the system32 window, and click Properties.
- Select Read-Only, and click OK.
- Replace the Config.net file the same way.
- Restart the PC.
For more information refer to the Microsoft article: Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program (In English).