An Alphanumeric Code (Example: '0x......' or 'C2......') Displays on the Front Panel When Printing
If you have an alphanumeric
error code, and the message does not include the words “Ink system failure,” you have come to the right troubleshooting document.
A code with letters and numbers
NOTE:There are many variations of these alphanumeric codes. Some begin with '0x...' while others begin with a 'B' or 'C.' Your exact error might not be in the example list, but you should continue with the troubleshooting outlined in this document.
Examples of common alphanumeric error codes (where xxx is any letter or number):
Solution one: Reset the product
- Without turning off the product, disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the product.NOTE:The USB cable connects to the port on the rear of the product. The port is labeled with the USB icon ( ). If your printer has a network or wireless connection, ignore this step.
- Remove the cartridges from the product.
- Wait until a message to insert the cartridges displays. If you do not see a message within a few minutes, skip to the next step.NOTE:If your printer does not have a display, wait until the cartridge lights blink. If the cartridge lights do not blink within a few minutes, skip to the next step.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
- Wait 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button ( ).
- Reinsert the cartridges, and then close any open doors on the product.
- If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
- If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the product.
- Try printing again.
If your product is from the HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One printer series, your product might need a firmware update. Use the following steps to determine if a firmware update is necessary and then download new firmware if needed.
Determine if a firmware update is necessary
NOTE:If the printer is connected to a network with internet access, the printer’s firmware can be updated through the front panel and in most cases will automatically update as necessary without any user input. In order for this to occur, web services must be enabled. For users connected to a network with internet access, you can search for product updates from the front panel of the device.
Follow these steps to determine the current version of firmware installed on the product.
Print a self-test report from the control panel.
- Load letter or A4, unused, plain white paper into the product input tray.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
- On the product touch screen, touch the Right Arrow ( ) to display the second navigation screen.
- Touch Setup ( ) on the control panel display. The Setup Menu displays.
- Touch the Down Arrow ( ), and then touch Reports .
- Touch Printer Status Report . The self-test report prints.
- Identify the current firmware version on the Printer Status Report .
- Determine if newer firmware is available for your product. Visit the HP product software page at the link provided below:Click this link, Get Software and Drivers .
- Enter your specific product information to search for product software for your product.
- Select your operating system.
- Under firmware, compare the version available on the web to what is on your printer’s status report.
- If the version matches what is on your printer status report , there is no need to install firmware. Proceed to the next solution.
- If the firmware version does NOT match what is on your printer status report , proceed to install the newer firmware by following the instructions on the firmware download page.
Solution two: Service the product
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty , contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty , click here to view low-cost support options.