Remove and Replace the Wireless LAN Network Card in Windows XP
This document provides instructions for the removal and replacement of your notebook PC's wireless network card. Use the video as a guide while following the written instructions below.
NOTE:These instructions are general and may not apply to every HP notebook PC. For more specific removal and replacement procedures please visit the product page for your notebook or consult your User Guide.
| To view the video press the Play button on the player control bar below the video. |
To stop the video press the Pause button on the player control bar below the video.
To restart the video press the Rewind button on the player control bar below the video.
NOTE:Flash Player from Macromedia is required to view this video. Visit the Macromedia website (in English) to download and install Flash Player.
Step 1 - Remove the battery
- Slide and hold the battery release latch to the unlock position.
- Use your finger to lift the battery up and out.
Step 2 - Remove the wireless LAN Mini PCI card
- Remove the Phillips-head screw that secures the Mini PCI cover to the bottom of the notebook.
- Use your finger or a flat-bladed tool to lift the outside edge of the Mini PCI cover and remove.
- Carefully disconnect the two wireless antenna cables from the Mini PCI card with small needle-nose pliers or tweezers.CAUTION:Use care when disconnecting the wireless antenna cables from the Mini PCI card. Damaged cables or connectors can degrade notebook performance.NOTE:Notice which antenna cable is connected to the Main connector and which is connected to the Aux connector for replacement.
- Push both arms outward simultaneously to release the Mini PCI card to the spring tension position.
- Grasp the Mini PCI card by the edges and pull gently to remove it.
- Place the Mini PCI card in a static dissipative bag.
Step 3 - Replace the wireless LAN Mini PCI card
- Remove the wireless LAN Mini PCI card from the static free bag.
- Locate the alignment slot and align it to the board receptacle.
- Grasp the Mini PCI card by the edges and push gently to replace it.
- Press the Mini PCI card down to latch the arms.
- Reconnect the two wireless antenna cables to the Mini PCI card.NOTE:Connect the cable from the antenna on the left side of the notebook to the Main connector and the cable from the antenna on the right side of the notebook to the Aux connector.CAUTION:Use care when connecting the wireless antenna cables to the Mini PCI card. Damaged cables or connectors can degrade notebook performance.
- Insert the Mini PCI cover into the enclosure and snap it into place.
- Replace the Phillips-head screw.
Step 4 - Replace the battery
- Insert the battery into the notebook.
- Press the battery into the base enclosure until you hear a click.