Removing and Installing Print Cartridges
Follow the steps below to remove, replace, or maintain the print cartridges.
Removing and installing print cartridges
Step 1: Open the printer
WARNING:If the HP Deskjet printer is turned off when the print-cartridge access door is lifted to access the print cartridges, the printer will not release the cartridges for changing. Damage may occur to the HP Deskjet printer if the print cartridges are not docked safely on the right side when you try to remove them. Push the scraper bar gently with your finger if it is blocking the cartridges, then press the Power button.
Cartridge replacement animation
Click the play button above () to see an animation on how to replace print cartridges, or continue to the sections below for detailed instructions.
Step 2 - Remove old cartridges
Step three: Use a cartridge protector
If you are temporarily removing a working cartridge (for instance, removing a Black cartridge in order to install a Photo cartridge), put it in a cartridge protector. Cartridge protectors come with Photo cartridges.
Step 4 - Make sure the new cartridges are compatible
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country/region location is correct.
Genuine HP cartridges can also be purchased from other retailers.
Step 5 - Install the new cartridges
- If you are installing a new print cartridge, remove the protective tape.CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove the copper strip.CAUTION:After the tape is removed, do not touch the copper contacts or the ink nozzles.
- Hold the print cartridge so the nozzles are down and the contacts face toward the printer, then slide the cartridge into the carriage.
- Cartridges marked with a triangle go into the left carriage slot.
- Cartridges marked with a square or pentagon go into the right carriage slot.
- Push down on the print cartridge latch until it snaps closed.
- Close the printer cover.
Print cartridge maintenance
After removing the print cartridges from the printer, it is necessary to follow basic care and maintenance guidelines to keep them from drying out. The following guidelines will help maintain HP inkjet print cartridges and ensure consistent print quality.
- Do not reattach the plastic tape that covered the ink nozzles since this can damage the nozzles.
- Store the print cartridge(s) in a print cartridge protector or airtight plastic container. If the cartridge is stored in an airtight plastic container, make sure the nozzles face down and are not in contact with the container. Do not use plastic bags: this may damage the print cartridges.
- Placing a moist paper towel in the airtight container may help to keep the cartridges from drying out.
- A print cartridge protector is provided with the photo print cartridge.
- To insert the cartridge into this protector, slide the cartridge at a slight angle into the protector and snap it securely in place.
- To remove the cartridge, press down and back on the top of the protector to release the cartridge. Slide the cartridge out of the protector.
- Do not drop the print cartridge since it could be damaged.