Replace the Cartridges
Use the following instructions to replace the cartridges in your All-in-One.
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Replacing the cartridges
Follow these steps in the order in which they are presented.
Video of replacing the cartridges
View the video or choose one of the following topics to learn how to replace a cartridge.
The following video demonstrates how to replace a cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Officejet 6310 printer. The outside of the printer might not look the same as your printer, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Step one: Remove the cartridges
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.CAUTION:If the product is off when you open the cartridge door to access the cartridges, the product will not release the cartridges for changing. You might damage the product if the cartridges are not docked safely on the right side when you try to remove them.
- Open the cartridge door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the product.
- Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a cartridge to release it.If you want to replace the tri-color cartridge, remove the cartridge from the slot on the left.If you want to replace the black or photo cartridge, remove the cartridge from the slot on the right.
- Pull the cartridge towards you out of its slot.
Step two: Install the new cartridge
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.Figure 4: Remove the tape1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tape
- Slide the new cartridge forward into the empty slot. Then gently push on the upper part of the cartridge forward until it clicks into the socket.If you are installing the tri-color cartridge, slide it into the left slot.If you are installing a black or photo cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Close the cartridge door.
- Press OK on the control panel to confirm the new cartridges.
- Press OK to begin the alignment process.
- Load unused, plain white, U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the input tray, and then press OK .NOTE:If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused, plain white, U.S. letter or A4 size paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.
- The product aligns the cartridges. Recycle or discard the cartridge alignment sheet.