Using the Onscreen Display (PL5060N, PL4260N)
This document pertains to the HP PL5060N 50-Inch and PL4260N 42-Inch Plasma TVs.
This document explains how to open and navigate the onscreen display (OSD) menus, the arrangement of the menus and menu options, and steps to edit channels for the channels list.
Opening and navigating the OSD menus
Use the buttons on the remote control to open and navigate the OSD menus.
- Select the input source; the OSD menus and options you see depend on the current input source.Press Source to open the input sources list. Press an Arrow button to choose the input source to view, and then press OK. Press Source to close the list.
- Press Menu to open the OSD. The available menus appear as a list.
- Press an Arrow button to move to the menu you want, which appears highlighted. Press OK.
- Press an Arrow button to move within the menu and highlight an option, and then press the OK button to move into the option.
- Continue using the Arrow buttons to highlight and adjust an item, and using the OK button to enter the change.
- You can press the Back button to move out of an option, or to move up one menu level.
- When you are finished, press the Menu button to close the menu.
Menus and options
The menus and options are listed as follows:
The Picture menu controls the look of the image on the screen for the selected input. The Picture menu has different options dependent on the input source: when viewing an AV source choose menu item Settings; when viewing a PC source choose menu item Screen.
|Mode||Adjusts to preset values (Vivid, Standard, or Movie) or to User for individual adjustments.|
|Brightness||Adjusts image brightness.|
|Contrast||Adjusts image contrast.|
|Saturation||Adjusts image color intensity.|
|Hue||Adjusts image tones: Decrease to make tones more red, or increase to make tones more blue.|
|Sharpness||Adjusts image sharpness.|
|Blue Screen||Turns on or off display of a blue screen as the image when there is no video signal.|
|Color Temperature||Selects color temperature settings: Warm, Standard, or Cold.|
|H Size||Adjusts the horizontal size of the image.|
|H Position||Adjusts the horizontal position of the image.|
|V Size||Adjusts the vertical size of the image.|
|V Position||Adjusts the vertical position of the image.|
|Phase Adjust||Adjusts the phase of the clock used for synchronizing the image.|
|Clock Adjust||Adjusts the clock used for synchronizing the image.|
|Auto Sync||Starts automatic synchronization of the image.|
|Default||Resets all Screen options to default values.|
The Audio menu sets the sound levels in the Settings menu, the mode for the digital audio output signal, and the mode and values for the SRS WOW settings for the display speakers.
|Balance||Adjusts emphasis of the left or right speaker.|
|Sound Mode||Adjusts to preset values (Voice, Music, or Standard) or to User for individual adjustments of the equalizer values.|
|120 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|200 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|500 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|1200 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|3000 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|7500 Hz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|12 KHz||Adjusts equalizer value.|
|Audio menu/Digital Audio||Explanation|
|Digital Audio Output Mode||Selects the mode for the signal provided on the digital audio output connector: Digital Dolby or PCM. |
Select PCM when your external digital audio system does not support surround sound.
When the source is analog, such as from an analog TV channel, there is no Digital Audio output.
|Audio menu/SRS WOW||Explanations|
|Mode||Set Mode to On to hear emulated surround sound from the display speakers.|
|Focus||Provides clarity improvement and elevation to the audio.|
|TruBass||Provides bass enhancement to the audio.|
|Time Zone||Sets the time zone.|
|Date/Time||Select to set the time automatically or manually.|
|Auto Turn-On||Sets the time to automatically turn on the TV.|
|Auto Turn-Off||Sets the time to automatically turn off the TV.|
|Sleep Timer||Sets the minutes and seconds before the TV turns off.|
|Daylight Savings||Selects to use daylight savings time.|
|Auto Scan||Starts an automatic scan to find all channels. An automatic scan would find all available channels, for example - channel 14 and the subchannels 14-2 and 14-7.|
|Manual Scan||Starts a manual scan to find specific channels. A manual scan on channel 14 would find channel 14 and the subchannels 14-2 and 14-7.|
|Edit Program||Edits the program channel list to lock (or unlock) or skip a channel when using the Channel adjust buttons.|
|Information||Shows program number and name; you can edit the display name for an analog channel.|
CC (closed caption) menu
|Closed caption menu||Explanations|
|CC Mode||Sets caption display on, off, or on when mute.|
|Analog Caption||Sets the analog caption service.|
|Digital Caption||Sets the digital caption service.|
|Style||Selects the elements for displaying closed caption text.|
Parental Ctrl (control) menu
The Parental Ctrl (control) menu enables and sets the password and parental controls to prevent viewing by TV rating, TV content, and movie ratings.
|Parental Ctrl menu||Explanations|
|Password||Enables and sets the password.|
|MPAA||Selects movie ratings by the Motion Picture Association of America.|
|TV Guidelines||Selects TV ratings by age-based guidelines and content values.|
|Canadian English Ratings||Selects English TV ratings by age-based content values from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) policy on violence in television programming.|
|Canadian French Ratings||Selects French TV ratings by age-based content values from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) policy on violence in television programming.|
|OSD||Selects the language (English, French, or Spanish) and timeout for the onscreen display menus.|
|Software Version||Shows the TV software version number.|
|Setup Wizard||When set to Yes and the TV is turned off and then on, starts the setup wizard.|
|Default Settings||Returns all settings, including the channel list, to the default value.|
|White Wash||Set to Yes and press OK to display an all-white screen for 3 minutes. This can reduce the appearance of an afterimage resulting from a fixed screen image.|
|Standby Mode||Sets the mode for power used by the TV when it is turned off and enters standby.|
Editing channels for the channel list
Use Edit Program in the Channel menu to lock or skip a channel.
- Press Menu to open the OSD menu. Press Menu again to exit the menus and return to your TV display.
- Press the Down Arrow to move down in the menu to the Channel menu, highlighting it. Press OK.
- Press the Down Arrow to move down in the menu to the Edit Program item, highlighting it. Press OK.You see a table of all the channels found during the last automatic scan, and found by subsequent manual scans, with columns labeled Music, Ch. No. (channel number), Name, Lock, and Skip.
- Press an Arrow button to move in the menu, highlighting the cell for Lock or Skip for a channel. Press OK to change the item for that channel.
- A selection in the Lock column requires the parental control password to unlock and view the channel.
- A selection in the Skip column skips the channel when using the channel adjust buttons.