Obtaining Software Updates Using the HP Update Utility in Windows XP and 2000
Use the HP Update utility in Windows XP and 2000 to make sure that the computer has the latest features and improvements installed.
NOTE:HP Software Update is now called HP Update. HP Update continues to offer all the features and benefits of HP’s proactive notification and update service. It includes checking for updates specific to the HP product including software, drivers, applications, firmware/BIOS, tools and utilities.
Obtaining software updates using the HP Update utility in Windows XP and 2000
Follow Step one to make sure that the HP Update utility is installed on the computer. Follow Step two to run the utility to download the latest software updates.
Step one: Make sure that the HP Update utility is installed on the computer
- Locate the HP Update utility. To do this, follow the steps for the operating system that is installed on the computer.
- Windows XP:
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start, click All Programs, and then click HP.
- If HP Update is available in the list of programs, the utility is installed. Click HP Update to open the HP Update dialog box, and then go to Step two: Run the HP Update utility to download updates.If HP Update is not available in the list of programs, the utility is not installed. Continue to step 2 to install the utility.
- Windows 2000:
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start, click Programs, and then click HP.
- If HP Update is available in the list of programs, the utility is installed. Click HP Update to open the HP Update dialog box, and then go to Step two: Run the HP Update utility to download updates.If HP Update is not available in the list of program, the utility is not installed. Continue to step 2 to install the utility.
- If the HP Update utility is not installed, follow these steps to install it:NOTE:Install the HP Update utility only if a full-feature driver is available for the HP product. The full-feature driver contains the HP Update utility.To download the full-feature driver for the HP product, click here .In the Support & Drivers window, under Select a task and enter a product name/number, select Download drivers and software (and firmware).In the for product text box, type the HP product model number, and then click the arrow button to the right of the box to continue.If prompted, click the HP product from the list of products in the Product search results window. The Select your operating system window opens.Under Which operating system is used with your product?, click the computer operating system. The Select software and drivers window opens.Under Driver, click Full Feature Software and Drivers, and then follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the file.NOTE: When saving the download, make sure to take note where the file is saved. The file is a self-extracting executable file with an .exe file extension.
Step two: Run the HP Update utility to download updates
- In the HP Update dialog box, click Next. The HP Update utility checks for and lists all available updates.NOTE:If the computer has all available product software updates installed, No new updates available is displayed in the HP Update dialog box.
- Make sure that all of the available updates are selected with a checkmark in the checkbox to the left of the update, and then click Next. The HP Update utility installs all available updates.NOTE:To find an update that is not shown in the available updates list, click here to go to the HP Support & Drivers page . Follow the on-screen instructions to download the update.
- Click OK when prompted, and then click Restart Now or Restart Later to finish the update process.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Imaging and Printing Products -- 'The feature you are trying to use is on a disk that is not available' or a Similar Message Displays on the Computer in Windows