Manually Clean the Print Cartridge Contacts
If you use the printer in a dusty environment, debris may accumulate on the copper-colored contacts and cause printing problems. The print cartridge contacts may need to be cleaned.
Manually cleaning the print cartridge contacts
Follow the steps below to manually clean the print cartridge contacts:
- Gather the following items to clean the contacts:
- Distilled water (tap water may contain contaminants that can damage the print cartridge)
- Cotton swabs or other soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the print cartridge
- Open the print cartridge door.
- Remove the print cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the ink nozzle plate facing up.CAUTION:Do not leave the print cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes. Ink nozzles exposed to the air longer than this may dry out and cause printing problems.
- Lightly moisten a cotton swab with distilled water and squeeze any excess water from the swab.
- Gently wipe the copper-colored contacts with the cotton swab.CAUTION:Do not touch the ink nozzle plate. Touching the ink nozzle plate will result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until no ink residue or dust appears on a clean swab.
- Insert the print cartridge in the printer, and then close the print cartridge door.