'Ink cartridge problem - the following ink cartridge(s) appear to be missing or damaged' Error Message Displays on the Printer after Cartridges Are Installed
After new ink cartridges are installed, the following message appears on the control panel display: Ink Cartridge Problem - The following ink cartridge(s) appear to be missing or damaged (symbols identify cartridges). The printer will not print.
NOTE:When setting up the printer, install the ink cartridges that were shipped with your device. The ink in these cartridges is specially formulated to mix with the ink in the printhead assembly. If the supplied were not used when setting up the product, replace the affected ink cartridge(s) with the ink cartridges that were shipped with the unit.
Complete these steps in the order presented to resolve the problem. It might not be necessary to complete all of the steps.
NOTE:The printer will not operate unless all six ink cartridges are installed. Also, HP cannot guarantee the quality of refilled or remanufactured ink cartridges.
Step one: Reset the printer
CAUTION:Do not perform any other type of reset on the printer before the ink initialization process has been completed.
- Without turning the power off, remove the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall socket.
- Wait 30 seconds and reconnect the power cord to the printer and to the wall socket. Turn the unit on if it is not already turned on.
- Check the printer for the error message. If the error message continues, go to the next step.
Step two: Clean the cartridge contacts
- Lift the top cover.
- Locate the ink cartridge indicated in the error message. Squeeze the gray tab below the cartridge slot to release the latch and then lift the latch.
- Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message.
- Gather the following cleaning materials:
- Distilled, filtered, or bottled water. Do not use tap water, alcohol, or platen cleaners.
- Lint-free cloth or swab. Eyeglass wipes and coffee filters work well.
- Lightly moisten the swab or cloth and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Holding the cartridge by its handle, wipe the copper contacts.
- Replace the cartridge and then close the latch and the printer top cover.
- Check the printer for the error message. If the error message continues, go to the next step.NOTE:The printer might take up to 15 seconds to clear the error and recognize the cartridge after closing the cover.
Step three: Replace the cartridge
If the error message continuess, replace the indicated cartridge with a new cartridge.