Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
This document pertains to recovery discs for HP and Compaq desktop PCs.
This document provides information about ordering recovery discs.
NOTE:Your computer can be recovered only by using the exact recovery discs specified for your HP or Compaq computer model. Follow the steps in this article to ensure that you order the correct Recovery Kit for your computer.
Step 1: Determining if a recovery kit is available from HP
If you know that a recovery kit is available from your computer's Software and Driver download page, then skip this step. Otherwise, read each item below to find out if recovery discs are available for your computer model.
- If you arrived at this document by clicking a link from your product's Software and Driver page, click the Back button on your Internet browser and click the Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB link to open the Recovery Media section. Look for a link in the section that has a 10 character alphanumeric code for a recovery kit (see the following image for an example). If a kit is available, click Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! to return to this document and finish reading.
- If you arrived at this document from an HP support page that did not match your computer model or from a link outside HP, then search HP's Web site to find and open the Software and Driver Download page for your computer model. Click the Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB link to open the Recovery Media section. Look for a link in the section that has a 10-character alphanumeric code for a recovery kit. If a kit is available, click Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! to return to this document and finish reading.
- If a Recovery Media link does not exist on the Software and Driver download page that matches your HP computer model number, then a kit is not available because HP no longer has any kits in stock. HP has a limited supply of recovery kits to release to the public. You might be able to create recovery discs using software on the computer (Step 3), or you might be able to find recovery discs for sale outside HP by searching the Internet using your computer model number and the words "recovery discs."
Step 2: Know important information before ordering recovery discs
You should know the following before ordering recovery discs:
- A credit card is required to order a recovery disc set from HP.
- Before ordering, you will need to know the serial number for your computer. This is described in the following steps.
- If you own a configure-to-order computer (CTO), you will also need to know the version of Windows that came with the computer. This is described in the following steps.
- You might be able to burn a set of discs. Most HP and Compaq desktop computers have a software utility that allows you to create a set of recovery discs.The benefits of creating your own set of recovery discs are listed below:
- You can create a recovery disc set even if the computer cannot open to the Windows desktop.
- Creating discs takes much less time than ordering and receiving them in the mail.
- Creating discs is less expensive because there are no shipping costs.
Step 3: Create a set of recovery discs
Try to create a set of recovery discs. If your computer can open to the Windows desktop, you can determine whether the computer has Recovery Creator software installed.
NOTE:Only one set of recovery discs can be created for the computer.
- Use one of the following methods, depending on your Windows version:
- In Windows 8, at the Start screen, type Recovery Media Creation , and then select it in the search results.
- For previous versions of Windows, click Start , click All Programs , and then click PC Help & Tools . Look for and select HP (or Compaq) PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator.
- To create the recovery disc set, open the software and follow the on-screen directions.
- If PC Help & Tools is missing from the Start menu, look for any of the following:
- Hewlett Packard
- HP Pavilion PC Tools
- HP PC Recovery CD Creator
- PC Recovery Tools
- Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator
- If you still cannot find the recovery utility, try browsing. If your computer came with Recovery disc software, you can browse to the file that opens the CD/DVD Creator software. Using Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\Creator\CD Creator.exe and double-click CD Creator.exe . The CD/DVD Creator application opens. To create the recovery disc set, follow the on-screen directions.
For more information, read the HP support document Creating Recovery CDs and DVDs Using Recovery Creator Software .
Step 4: Finding the serial number
If you already know the serial number for your computer, skip to the next step.
If your computer can open the Windows desktop, press the CTRL +ALT +S keys to open a support information window. The serial number is shown next to Serial # .
If the computer cannot open to the Windows desktop, find the serial number on a label adhered to the computer. The information label might be on the back, top, or side of the computer.
Step 5: Choosing the correct Recovery Disc set if multiple sets are available for Configure-to-Order computers
If you do not know what operating system came with your configure-to-order (CTO) computer, you can find the Build Identification (BID number) on an information label that is on the bottom of computer. Write this exact number down, making sure you write the number correctly. You will need the BID number to find the specific recovery set for your CTO computer from the list of recovery disc sets shown on the order page.
Step 6: Ordering discs
Now that you have read this important information, click the Back button on your Internet browser to go back to the Software and Driver Download page. To continue the ordering process, click the Recovery Disc link and follow the instructions on the page. The ordering pages use a secure connection to protect your privacy.
Step 7: Contact Support
If you could not create or order discs, Contact HP (in English) for assistance. HP Customer Care might be able to replace defective versions or help in the ordering process.