'Ink Cartridge is Missing, Incorrectly Installed, or Not Intended for Your Device' Error Message is Displayed on the Printer
The following message displays on the printer: Ink cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended for your device.
NOTE:The first time you set up and use the printer, you must install the ink cartridges that were shipped with your device. The ink in these cartridges is specially formulated to mix with the ink in the print head assembly. To resolve this error, replace the affected ink cartridge(s) with the ink cartridges that were shipped with the unit.
Complete the steps below in the order presented to resolve the problem. It might not be necessary to complete all of the steps.
NOTE:The printer will not operate unless all six ink cartridges are installed. Also, HP cannot guarantee the quality of refilled or remanufactured ink cartridges.
Step one: Reset the printer
CAUTION:Do NOT perform any other type of reset on the printer before the ink initialization process has been completed.
- Without turning the power off, remove the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall socket.
- Wait 30 seconds and reconnect the power cord to the printer and to the wall socket. Turn the unit on if it is not already turned on.
- Check the printer for the error message. If the error message still displays, go to the next step.
Step two: Clean the cartridge contacts
- Lift the top cover.
- Locate the ink cartridge indicated in the error message. Squeeze the gray tab below the cartridge slot to release the latch and then lift the latch.
- Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message.
- Gather the following cleaning materials:
- Distilled, filtered, or bottled water. Do not use tap water, alcohol, or platen cleaners.
- Lint-free cloth or swab. Eyeglass wipes and coffee filters work well.
- Lightly moisten the swab or cloth and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Holding the cartridge by its handle, wipe the copper contacts.
- Replace the cartridge and then close the latch and the printer top cover.
- Check the printer for the error message. If the error message still displays, go to the next step.NOTE:The printer may take up to 15 seconds to clear the error and recognize the cartridge after closing the cover.
Step three: Replace the cartridge
If the error message still displays, replace the indicated cartridge with a new cartridge.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Photosmart C6100 All-in-One Series -- An 'Ink cartridge(s) are empty' Error Message Displays on the Printer