The HP Printer Installation Disc Does Not Start Automatically in Windows XP
This document is for HP printers that are connected to a computer running with Windows XP.
The software installation disc does not start automatically when you insert the printer's software installation disc in the disc drive of a computer with Windows XP.
Solution one: Download and install the driver from the HP website
Follow these steps to download and install the driver from the HP website.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- Type your printer model number.
- Click Go.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature or solution software and driver listed, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the driver to your computer.
Solution two: Select Autoplay
Follow these steps after you insert the software installation disc.
- Insert the installation disc into the disc drive.
- Click Start and then click My Computer for Windows XP. For any other version of Windows, double-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
- Right-click the CD-ROM drive and then click Autoplay.
Solution three: Check if Auto-Run is enabled
Follow these steps to see if Auto-Run is enabled.
- Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Device Manager tab.
- Click the plus sign next to CD-ROM Drive entries. Highlight the name of your CD-ROM, and right-click it, and then click Properties.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Select the box next to Auto Insert Notification.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type gpedit.msc.
- Click Administrative Templates under Computer configuration.
- Click System, and then click Turn off Autoplay.
- Right-click Turn off Autoplay, then click Properties.
- Under Setting, click Not Configured.
Solution four: Manually install the software installation disc
Follow these steps to manually install the software installation disc.
- Click Start and then click Run.
- Click Browse and then select My Computer.
- Click the CD/DVD drive.
- Double-click the setup.exe file to start the installation.
Solution five: Copy the files to the hard drive
Copy the contents of the HP software installation disc onto the root drive (in C:\ or D: \ of My Computer), then install it from the hard drive location. The computer should have at least 2 Gigabytes of free hard disk space to copy the contents of the CD and install it.
- Click Start and open My Computer or double-click My Computer on the Desktop.
- Double-click C:\ or D:\, assuming C: and D: are the computer hard drives.
- Right-click the empty pane in C:\ or D:\ of My Computer and select New. Then click Folder.
- A new folder is created. Rename the new folder HP Driver.
- Right-click Start and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer.
- Locate the CD-ROM drive letter in the left pane of the window and select it so that the contents are displayed in the right pane.
- Click Edit in the File menu, and then click Select All to highlight all of the files and folders.
- With the files still selected, click Edit and then click Copy.
- Close Windows Explorer. Open the HP Driver folder created in step 1, click Edit, and then click Paste to copy the files to the HP Driver folder on the hard drive.
- If while copying, a Cannot copy from source disk or drive or Cannot copy specified file error message is displayed, then check the functionality of the CD drive by using a different CD. If other CDs work correctly, it means there is an error reading the HP software CD.
Solution six: Check the disc drive, and then clean the installation disc
Check if the disc drive is working by inserting a different music CD or video DVD.
- If a different CD or DVD does run, clean the HP installation disc using a soft cloth lightly dampened with distilled water, and then try running it again.
- If a different CD or DVD does not run, or the HP installation does not run after a cleaning, there is an issue with the disc drive or with the disc. Continue to the next solution to download the print driver and software from the HP website.
Solution seven: Order a replacement software installation disc
- Return to the HP Drivers & Downloads page for your printer.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Order Physical Media.
- Click More details, and then follow the on-screen instructions to order a new software installation disc.