'Ink Cartridge(s) are Empty' Error Message
An 'Ink Cartridge(s) are Empty ' error message displays on the printer or on your computer. A cartridge might be empty, or the printer might not recognize a new cartridge.
Video of replacing ink cartridges
The following video demonstrates the steps for replacing ink cartridges.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Photosmart C5180 e-All-in-One printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.
Follow the steps below to remove and replace the empty cartridge.
- Turn the printer on.
- Open the cartridge door.
- Squeeze the gray tab below a cartridge slot to release the gray latch, and then lift the latch.Figure 2: Lift the latch1 - Cartridge latch for the black cartridge2 - Cartridge latches for the color cartridgesNOTE:The cartridge areas are color-coded for easy reference. From left to right, the cartridges are black, yellow, light cyan, cyan, light magenta, and magenta.
- Pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot to remove it.
- Remove the cartridge from the packaging.
- Hold the cartridge by the handle and then slide the cartridge into the empty slot.NOTE:Make sure that the cartridge is inserted into the slot that has the same shaped icon and color as the cartridge. The copper-colored contacts should be facing the printer as the cartridge is inserted.
- Press down on the gray latch until it clicks into place.
- Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each cartridge that needs to be replaced.NOTE:All six cartridges must be installed. The printer will not work if a cartridge is missing.
- Close the cartridge door.
If your cartridges are not empty, but you continue to receive the 'Ink Cartridge(s) are Empty ' error message, follow these steps to override the message.
- Disconnect any cables (Ethernet cable or USB cable) that connect both the printer and the computer.
- Restart your computer. (Consider bookmarking this page in your Web browser so that you can easily return to it after the computer restarts.)
- With the printer turned on , remove the power cord from the back of the printer.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Insert the power cord back into the printer, and turn the printer on.
- Clear any error messages.
- Reconnect any cables that connect the printer to the computer.