Purchasing a Replacement Battery
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs.
The battery in a Notebook PC is designed to provide dependable power; however, all rechargeable batteries gradually lose their capacity to hold a charge. Batteries made of different materials have different useful lives. For instance, with moderate use, Li-Ion batteries are expected to deliver around 80% of their original capacity after 300 charge cycles or about one year of use. This loss in capacity (aging) is irreversible.
Test the Condition of an HP Notebook PC Battery
HP provides a battery check tool you can use to test your battery before ordering a new one. For instructions on testing the condition of your battery, see:
Find the Replacement Battery Part Number
Different notebook models require different batteries Before ordering a battery, you need to know the Product Number of your notebook to determine the Part Number of the replacement battery.
Perform one of the following tasks to find the Product Number of your notebook using HP Support Assistant. If you do not have HP Support Assistant, click HP Support Assistant to download.
- Click Start and select HP Support Assistant . The product name, product number, and serial number of the notebook are displayed in the upper left hand corner of the Help and Support home page.
- If the Notebook PC is not powered on, turn it over and locate the HP Service Tag fastened to the back of the notebook. The Product Number (P/N) is printed on this tag.
- For detailed information on how to find Notebook product names and numbers, see HP Notebook PCs - Locating the Product Number and Serial Number .
Order a Replacement Battery On-Line
After you have found the Product Number of the notebook, and have tested the condition of the battery, perform the following steps to order a new battery.
NOTE:Some countries or regions may not be supported when ordering parts from HP.com. See your local HP retailer or contact HP directly to purchase additional batteries or other parts.
- Go to the HP Parts Store (in English).
- Select the desired country / region and language.
- Select the link to the HP Parts Store .NOTE:If the HP Parts Store option is not available in your country or language, select one of the other contact options.
- Enter your Product Number in the Search by model number field and click the search arrow button to begin the search.NOTE:If needed, remove the suffix from the Product Number (P/N) on the Service Tag and enter the Product Number in the model number field on the order form. For example, P/N DZ357U#ABA is entered as DZ357U .
- When prompted with a list of models for the product, click on the appropriate model number .
- When prompted, select Batteries in the Keyword search field and click the search arrow button to begin the search.
- The name of the battery for your Notebook PC will be presented in a part list with the cost. Select the quantity and check the box in the last column.
- Click Place order and enter the required shipping and payment data.Or click Add to cart to add the part and continue shopping for other parts.