Cleaning your HP TouchSmart PC
This document pertains to HP TouchSmart PCs.
This document explains how to clean your HP TouchSmart PC, keyboard, and mouse. Dust, pet hair, and other particles can accumulate on or inside your TouchSmart PC. These particles can scratch hardware components and they can build up, shortening the product life by causing overheating. Cleaning your HP TouchSmart PC can make it last longer by getting rid of this potentially damaging buildup. It is recommended to inspect the HP TouchSmart PC for cleanliness once a month as part of a regular maintenance program.
Periodically check the HP TouchSmart PC for dirt and dust. Make sure to check the cooling vents and I/O ports for dust buildup. Use the following sections to clean your HP TouchSmart PC.
Before you begin
WARNING:Before cleaning the HP TouchSmart PC, perform these steps to reduce the risk of electrical shock:
- Turn off the HP TouchSmart PC.
- Unplug the HP TouchSmart PC from its power source.
Cleaning the TouchSmart screen
For optimal touch performance, the HP TouchSmart PC screen requires periodic cleaning to remove any particles on the sides and surface of the screen. The touch screen has a protective glass surface that can be cleaned by using a soft cloth or paper towel dampened with a typical glass cleaner.
To clean the touch screen:
- Disable the touch screen by turning off the PC and disconnecting the power cord from the wall.
- Spray a small amount of a mild glass cleaner onto a lint-free soft cloth.
- Wipe the surface and each side of the display to remove any dirt, fingerprints, or other debris that could hinder the touch recognition of the screen.CAUTION:Do not spray or place the cleaner directly on the screen; spray the cleaner into the cloth and then wipe the sides and surface of the touch screen. Also, avoid wiping in the top corners where the optics are located.Do not use an abrasive cleaner or cloth when cleaning the sides or surface of the screen as this could cause damage to the touch screen.
Cleaning the case
If the case has accumulated dust and buildup, follow these steps to clean:
Cleaning the cooling vents
The vents allow air to flow through your HP TouchSmart PC and help keep it cool. Buildup inside these vents impedes the cooling process. Use a battery-powered vacuum to remove dust and buildup from the vents.
Cleaning I/O ports
The HP TouchSmart PC has a series of I/O ports in the back. Dust and debris can collect in these ports, reducing connectivity and performance. Use a battery-powered vacuum to remove any debris that has accumulated in and around these ports.
Cleaning the keyboard
Dust and other particles can fall between and beneath the keys of your keyboard. Gently use a battery-powered vacuum to remove debris particles that get between and beneath the keyboard keys. Use a low setting to avoid removing key caps and springs.
Use a clean, dry cloth and isopropyl alcohol to clean the buildup on the keyboard keys.