Installing the Printer Driver Located in Windows Vista
The driver solution for this product is included in your Windows Vista operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to download anything. Follow the steps below to quickly and easily get your product working with Windows Vista.
Installing the printer driver
- Verify that the printer is turned on.
- Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the printer and to the computer.
- After plugging in the device, select Don’t show this message again for this device.
- Click Continue on User Access Control (UAC) Window.
- Go to the Start ( ) icon, click Control Panel , click Hardware and Sounds , and then click Printers .
- Click Add a printer .
- Click Add a local printer .
- Select the Use an existing port check box.
- In the Use an existing port drop-down list, select USB001 and then click Next .
- Under Manufacturer on the Install the printer driver dialog box, select HP .
- Under Printers , select HP Photosmart 8400 series and then click Next .
- In the Printer name text box, type the printer name and then click Next . The printer driver starts to install.
- When the message You're successful and HP Photosmart 8400 series appears, you can print a test page to ensure that the printer is working correctly and then click Finish .
Using the basic printer functions
- Open the document to be printed in the software application in which it was created.
- Click File , and then click Print .
Video of printing from a software program
Watch the following video for a demonstration of printing from a software program with Windows 7 operating system.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Importing and viewing images on a memory card
- Insert the memory card into the appropriate memory card slot on the product.NOTE:If the memory card is already inserted, remove it, and then reinsert it.
- On the Autoplay window that opens, click Import Pictures , View Pictures , or Open folder to view files .
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Video of importing and viewing images on a memory card
You can use this video to help you learn how to view and import images from a memory card.
The following video demonstrates how to import and view images on a memory card in Windows 7.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.
Using the advanced printer functions
You might find that some of the advanced features are no longer available when using this basic driver. You can upgrade to an HP product that is fully compatible with Windows Vista if the advanced features are necessary.
To help you decide what product to upgrade to, click here for information on upgrading the product .
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Single-Function Printers -- Installing the Printer Software in Windows 7 for a USB Cable Connection