'Out of Paper' Error Message and the Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper
An Out of paper error message appears on the computer, and the product does not pick up or feed paper from the paper tray.
Complete the following steps in the order provided to solve this problem.
Step one: Check the media and print settings
- While the printer is on, remove the power cord from the back of the printer, wait 30 seconds, and then plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
- If the printer is not already on, turn it on by pushing the power button.
- Replace any paper that is ripped, dusty, wrinkled, or bent. If the paper is curled, uncurl the paper by gently bending it in the opposite direction of the curl or replace the paper.NOTE:Use plain paper in the unit until the issue is resolved.
- Verify that all the paper is the same size and type.
- Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.
- Verify that the stack of paper to be loaded in the unit contains between 10 and 25 sheets of paper.NOTE:Do not load too much paper in the printer.
- Insert the stack of paper into the printer and then gently push the paper guides snugly against the paper.
- Adjust the paper settings in the print driver. The paper settings in the print driver must match the paper settings for at least one of the installed paper trays.Open a document in the application in which it was created.Click File.Click Print.Click Properties. The Printer Properties dialog box displays.Click the Paper/Quality tab.In the Size is drop-down menu, select the size of the paper loaded in the unit.In the Type is drop-down menu, select the type of paper loaded in the unit.Click OK.NOTE:These changes do not change the default print settings. The print settings will revert to the default print settings the next time the application is opened.
- On the Print dialog box, click OK to print the document.
- Try printing again. If the issue is not solved, continue on to the next section.
NOTE:If the issue is resolved and you want to print on another type of media, change the paper in the unit and then repeat steps 2 through 7 for the new media.
Step two: Clean the rollers
- Turn off the product and unplug the power cord.
- Open the access door to gain access to the rollers. Depending on the model, this is usually the rear access door. See the product user guide for information about locating the rollers.
- Clean the rubber rollers with a lint-free cloth, lightly moistened with water.NOTE:Distilled, filtered, or bottled water is recommended for cleaning the rollers. Tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the rollers.
- Make sure that any paper rollers that rest on the input tray, which are located behind the back rollers, are cleaned. A clean cotton swab, lightly moistened with water, might be necessary to reach these rollers.
- Close the access door and plug in the power cord.
- Try printing again. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
Step three: Service the product
If you have completed all the steps and are still experiencing a problem, service your product.
Any of the following issues can cause this issue:
- The paper trays are empty or overloaded.
- The paper is curled.
- The print side, or shiny side, of the paper is not loaded in the tray face down. For photo paper, always load the rougher side of the paper facing up.
- The paper is too slick for the product.
- The paper might not be engaged with the feed rollers.
- The paper-width guide is pressed against the paper stack too tightly.
- The paper tray is not completely inserted into the product.
- The paper settings in the print driver do not match the paper loaded in the paper tray.
- The rubber paper-feed rollers are dusty.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP All-in-One Products -- 'Out of Paper' Error Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper
HP Photosmart D5345, D5360, D5363, and D5368 Printers -- 'Out of Paper' Error Message and the Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper