Installing Print Cartridges
This document describes how to install and align the print cartridge in the printer.
Step one: Install the print cartridge
To install print cartridges, do the following:
- Open the print cartridge door.The print carriage moves to the far right side of the HP Photosmart printer.Opening the print cartridge door
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.Handling the print cartridgeCopper-colored contactsPlastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)Ink nozzles under tapeCAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the print cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.Figure 3: Do not touch copper-colored contacts or ink nozzlesIf you are installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot.If you are installing a black, photo, or gray photo print cartridge, slide it into the right slot.The right slots for cartridgesPrint cartridge slot for the tri-color print cartridgePrint cartridge slot for the black and photo print cartridgesInstalling the cartridge
- Close the print cartridge door.Closing the print cartridge doorAfter successful installation, the HP Photosmart printer prints a print cartridge alignment page.
- When prompted, ensure plain white paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press OK.
- The HP Photosmart printer prints a test page, aligns the print head, and calibrates the printer. Recycle or discard the page.A success or failure message appears.
- Press OK to continue.
Step two: Align print or ink cartridges
As soon as the cartridges are installed, the HP Photosmart printer prompts you to align and calibrate the print cartridges. Make sure you align the print cartridges when prompted to ensure excellent print quality.
- When prompted, load letter or A4 unused plain white paper in the input tray, and then press OK.
- The HP Photosmart printer prints a test page, aligns the print head, and calibrates the printer. Recycle or discard the page.NOTE:If you load colored paper in the input tray when you align the printer, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.