This document applies to HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475.
The Control Center is the starting point for accessing the features of the HP MediaSmart Server.
Accessing the Control Center
The Control Center desktop icon and system tray icon are available only if you selected to create them during installation.
The Control Center can be accessed from the following:
Use this tab to access Your Albums in Photo Webshare and your shared folders.
Photo Webshare on the MediaSmart tab Opens Photo Webshare on the Your Albums page in a Web browser window. For information about using Photo Webshare, see Photo Webshare on page 5-1.
Shared folders are places to help you get started saving and organizing your files so that you can share them with other people on your network.
If the logon name for the user account on your server does not match the logon name for your computer, you must enter a user name and password. For information about creating matching user accounts, see Why should logons names match? in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Use the tools and settings on this tab to configure your HP MediaSmart Server.
Help & Support tab
Get information about using, configuring, and getting accessories for your HP MediaSmart Server.
Windows Home Server tabs
The Windows Home Server enables you to share, store, access, and automatically protect your pictures, videos, music, and files. It contains the following tabs:
Computers & Backups
View and customize backups. Also, view the status of your home computers running Windows Vista. For more information, see Computers & Backup in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Add, remove, and modify user accounts. For more information, see User Accounts in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Add, open, remove, and view the properties of the shared folders on your server. For more information, see Shared Folders in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
View, add, repair, and remove hard drives from server storage. For more information, see Server Storage in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Displays health notifications from your server and your home computers running Windows Vista. For more information, see Network Health in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Configure general settings, such as date and time, backups, passwords, media sharing, remote access, add-ins, resources, and more. For more information, see Server Settings in the Windows Home Server Console Help.
Access the Windows Home Server Console Help.
To set up the Server for iTunes
The server is enabled for iTunes by default.
- Log on to the Windows Home Server Console.
- Under Server Settings for iTunes , click Modify .
- In the Settings for iTunes page, set up the following:
- Status - enable or disable.
- Shared name - the name displayed in iTunes for the server.
- Password - optionally require a password to connect to the server from iTunes. If a password is assigned, only users that provide the correct password can play music from server’s shared library.
- Check interval - how often to check for music that has been added to the shared Music folder on the server.
- Click OK to finish.
To setup copying your iTunes library to the server
How to set up a computer to copy its iTunes music library and playlists to your shared Music folder on the server.
- At the computer, click Start , All Programs , and then select HP MediaSmart Server .
- In the Control Center, click the Tools tab.
- Click Settings for iTunes .
- In the Settings for iTunes dialog box, set up the following:
- Enable or disable automatic copying of iTunes music for the computer.
- User name and Password —optionally, enter the name and password for your User Account that you use to access the server. If you do not enter a user name and password, the user name and password on your local User Account is used (that is, the User Account on the computer that you are currently using). If you provide an invalid user name or password, access is attempted using the user account information on your computer; if this information matches, you can access the iTunes share music library on the server. If the user account information does not match and the user name and password entered in the Setting for iTunes dialog box are invalid, access to the iTunes shared music library on the server is denied.
- Check for new music every —how often to check for new music to copy to the iTunes folder in your shared Music folder on the server.
- Click Done to finish.