Replacing Cartridges for HP Deskjet F4200 All-in-One Series Printers
To prevent print quality issues, replace the cartridges when they are low or out of ink.
Video of replacing cartridges
View the video or choose one of the following topics to learn how to replace a cartridge.
The following video demonstrates how to replace a cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Deskjet F4200 printer. The outside of the printer might not look the same as your printer, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Use the following steps to replace the cartridges.
Step one: Prepare the cartridge
Use the following steps to prepare the cartridge for use in the product.
Step two: Replace the old cartridge
Use the following steps to replace the old cartridge. Make sure that paper is loaded correctly in the product before beginning the procedure.
- Press the power button () to turn on the product.CAUTION:If the product is off when the cartridge door is opened, the product will not release the cartridges.
- Open the cartridge door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the product. If the carriage does not move to the right side, turn the product off, and then turn it on again.Figure 3: Open the cartridge door
- Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on an cartridge to release it.
- Remove the cartridge from the slot on the left to replace the tri-color cartridge.
- Remove the cartridge from the slot on the right to replace the black cartridge.
- Pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot.NOTE:If the cartridge is being removed because it is low or out of ink, recycle it. The HP Inkjet Supplies Recycling Program is available in many regions and is free of charge.
- Slide the new cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot.
- To install a tri-color cartridge, insert it into the left slot.
- To install a black cartridge, insert it into the right slot.
- Press the cartridge firmly into the slot until it clicks into place.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step three: Align the new cartridge
The product prints a cartridge alignment sheet when new cartridges are installed.
If the product did not automatically print a cartridge alignment sheet, use the first two steps in the following procedure to print one from HP Solution Center. Then complete the remaining steps using that alignment sheet to align the cartridges.
If the alignment sheet printed automatically, skip steps 1 and 2 of the following procedure, and continue with step 3.
- Open HP Solution Center using one of the following methods.
- Windows XP: On the Windows task bar, click Start, click All Programs, point to HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Windows Vista: On the Windows task bar, click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, point to HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- In HP Solution Center, click Settings, and then click Printer Toolbox. The printer Toolbox opens.
- Click the Device Services tab, and then click Align the Print Cartridges. The product prints a cartridge alignment sheet.CAUTION:Printing alignment sheets shortens the life of cartridges. Print them only when necessary.
- Lift the product lid.
- Place the alignment sheet on the glass so the top of the sheet is on the right side with the text facing down. Make sure that the sheet is aligned with the right-front corner of the glass.
- Lower the product lid.
- Press the Scan button () on the product control panel. The product aligns the cartridges.
- Recycle or otherwise discard the alignment sheet.