Set Up the HP ExpressCard TV Tuner to Watch TV
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.
Setting up the notebook PC to watch TV
With the HP ExpressCard TV tuner, you can watch TV on the PC using either HP QuickPlay or Windows Media Center. This document describes how to install the latest TV tuner drivers, insert the TV tuner card, test the operation of the TV tuner using HP QuickPlay or Windows Media Center, and troubleshoot any installation problems.
To use the TV Tuner card, the notebook must have an ExpressCard slot.
Download and install the latest TV tuner drivers
To download and install the latest TV tuner drivers, follow the steps below.
NOTE:The following steps apply to TV tuners that are sold by HP and designed specifically for your notebook PC. If your TV tuner card did not come from HP, then go to the card manufacturer's web site to obtain the latest drivers.
- Open a browser and go to the Software & Driver downloads page.
- On the Software & Driver downloads page, type the PC's model number in the search field and then press enter.Alternately, enter sp36460 in the Question or keywords field, press enter, and follow the instructions.
- When prompted, select the specific product from the models listed.
- When prompted, select the proper operating system.
- View the list of drivers, and click the desired driver to open a window with additional information.
- Click the Download only option to save the file to the PC for installation. When prompted, select Save, and then select a storage location on the hard drive.
- After the file is downloaded, navigate to the folder where the file was saved and double-click the file to begin the installation.Follow the prompts to install the driver.
- Restart the PC after the installation is complete for the settings to take effect.
- After Windows restarts, click Locate and install driver software (recommended) on the Found New Hardware window, and grant permission to continue if prompted. Wait while Windows installs the device driver software. It may take a few moments for the software to install.
- Click Close on the Driver Software Installation window to acknowledge the HP TV tuner is now installed.
After installing the updated driver, insert the TV tuner card and test the operation of the TV tuner. When the notebook PC recognizes the TV tuner, the blue LED light on the TV tuner is illuminated to confirm the proper operation.
Insert the TV tuner card
To insert the TV tuner card into the express card slot on a notebook PC, follow the steps below.
- Remove the protective plastic insert that is in the express card slot, if necessary.
- Insert the HP ExpressCard TV tuner card into the express card slot with the label facing up. Push the tuner into the PC until it clicks into place. The TV tuner card has an LED light that glows if the PC is turned on after Windows recognizes the card.
Verify successful installation of TV tuner
After installing the TV tuner, verify that the TV tuner installed successfully by following the steps below.
- Click Start, type device in the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list when it becomes available.
- Verify that the TV tuner device and driver are listed in Device Manager.NOTE:If there is a yellow exclamation mark (commonly called a "bang") next to the TV tuner in Device Manager, the TV tuner is not functioning correctly. The problem is most likely that the TV tuner drivers did not install correctly. Double-click the TV tuner device for more information. See the troubleshooting section of this document for more information on resolving this error.
Test the operation of the TV tuner with HP QuickPlay or Windows Media Center
To verify that the TV tuner is operating properly, perform either the following HP QuickPlay test or the following Windows Media Center test.
To verify that the TV tuner is operating properly using HP QuickPlay, follow the steps below.
- Open HP QuickPlay and click the TV icon.
- Select a region and a TV signal source.
- Select the option to autoscan for available TV channels.
- Click Finish.
- Verify that a TV picture displays on the PC.NOTE:If the PC is not connected to a TV antenna or a live cable or satellite connection, you may see static instead of a picture. If so, the TV tuner is functioning properly.
The TV option in HP QuickPlay allows you to enjoy the following activities.
- Slingbox - watch your home TV from anywhere in the world, live, via the internet.
- HP TV Tuner - watch TV on your notebook PC.
- Recorded TV - view TV shows that you have recorded.
- Vongo - legally download an unlimited number of movies from the internet and watch them on your notebook PC for a small monthly fee.
Windows Media Center
Prior to following the steps below, be sure that you have installed Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
To verify that the TV tuner is operating properly using Windows Media Center, follow the steps below.
- Open Windows Media Center, scroll down, and select Tasks.
- Scroll to the left and select settings.
- Select TV and then select Set Up TV Signal. The TV signal wizard opens. Follow the on-screen instructions.NOTE:The TV signal wizard allows the TV signal to be set up either automatically or manually. Setting up the TV signal automatically is the recommended option. If problems are encountered while automatically setting up the TV signal, opt to set up the TV signal manually. If problems are encountered while manually setting up the TV signal, install the latest TV tuner driver .
- Verify that a TV picture displays on the PC.NOTE:If the PC is not connected to a TV antenna or a live cable connection, you may see static instead of a picture. If so, the TV tuner is functioning properly.
Now that the TV tuner is working properly, you may wish to connect to view the image on a larger display as covered in connect the TV to an external TV monitor .
The TV option in Windows Media Center allows you to enjoy the following activities.
NOTE:You must have successfully installed your TV tuner to gain access to all of the available TV features in Windows Media Center.
- recorded tv - view TV shows that you have recorded.
- more tv - select various TV shows to view by channel using the showcase or select TV shows to view by TV show or movie. Some of the available options require a subscription.
- live tv - view live TV.
- guide - view your cable or satellite company's TV listings for your zip code.
- movies guide - view a list of movies that are currently playing or will be playing in the near future.
- internet tv - connect to various web sites from which you can view internet TV for free.
- play dvd - play a DVD that you have inserted into your PC.
- search - search the guide for a TV show or movie by title, keyword, category, movie actor, or movie director.
NOTE:Windows Media Center is only available on the Home Premium and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista.
Troubleshooting TV tuner installation problems
If problems occur during the initial setup of the TV tuner, try uninstalling old TV tuner drivers and settings and then installing updated TV tuner drivers using the HP Recovery Manager.
Uninstall old TV tuner drivers and settings
If the TV tuner that is being inserted into the express card slot is an upgrade from a previous TV tuner, it is important to uninstall any old TV tuner drivers and software from the notebook PC. It is also important to uninstall any old software that is installed on the PC for any old TV tuners.
To remove previous TV tuner drivers and settings, follow the steps below. When the old drivers are uninstalled, see the Download and install the latest TV tuner drivers section of this document.
- Remove the TV tuner card from the express card slot.
- Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
- From the Tasks pane, click Device Manager. If prompted to grant permission to continue, click Continue to proceed.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to Sound, video and game controllers.
- Right-click the name of the TV tuner and click Uninstall.
- When prompted, select the checkbox next to Delete the driver software for this device, and then click OK.
- Restart the PC.
After the old TV tuner driver and settings are uninstalled, download and install the latest driver and insert the TV tuner in the express card slot to configure the TV tuner.
NOTE:If the TV tuner is in the unit when the PC is restarted, the Found New Hardware wizard appears.
Obtain an updated TV tuner driver
You can use the HP Recovery Manager to obtain an updated TV tuner driver for your particular computer model. For more information on using the HP Recovery Manager, refer to the HP Notebook PCs - Using HP Backup and Recovery Manager support document.