Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Viola)
- Manufacturer's motherboard name: ASUS M2N78-LA
- HP/Compaq name: Viola-GL8E
- Micro-ATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8200
- 5200MT/s (5.2 GT/s)
Socket type: AM2+
TDP: 125 watt
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
- Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology 9xxx series (AM2+) up to 9700 (up to 125 watt)
- Phenom with Triple-Core (Toliman) technology 8xxx series (AM2+) up to 8xxx (up to 125 watt)
- Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology (AM2) up to 6400+ (up to 125 watt)
- Dual channel memory architecture
- Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
- Supported DIMM types:
NOTE:HP does not recommend using PC2-8500. This motherboard can support only one PC2-8500 DIMM per channel (2 DIMMS total), which limits the maximum memory.
- PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
- PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
- PC2-8500 (1066 MHz)*
- Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
- Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
- Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
- Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
NOTE:*Actual available memory may be less
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
- Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 8200
- Supports concurrent use of dual displays connected to onboard DVI and VGA connectors.
- Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards as independent graphics adapters.
*Integrated audio is not available if a sound card is installed.
- Audio CODEC: Realtek ALC888S
- 8 channel high-definition audio
- Interface: Integrated into motherboard
- Technology: Realtek RTL8211B-GR
- Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/100 Mb/s (Gigabit Ethernet) LAN NOTE: Gigabit Ethernet is backwards compatible with 10/100 Mb/s network hardware.
- Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet
- One PCI Express x16
- Three PCI Express x1
Figure 2: Back I/O panel
1 - PS/2 mouse (green)
2 - SPDIF coaxial out
3 - Video Graphics Adapter
4 - IEEE 1394
5 - RJ-45 Network (LAN)
6 - Audio: Center/Subwoofer (yellow orange)
7 - Audio: Rear Speaker Out (black)
8 - Audio: Line In (light blue)
9 - Audio: Line Out (lime)
10 - Audio: Microphone (pink)
11 - Audio: Side Speaker Out (gray)
12 - USB 2.0: 4
13 - DVI
14 - PS/2 keyboard (purple)
- One 24-pin ATX power connector
- One 4-pin ATX power connector
- Six SATA connectors
- One floppy drive connector
- Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
- One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
- One SPDIF audio output connector
- One front line input connector (interrupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
- One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
- Six USB 2.0 headers supporting 8 USB ports or devices
- One 1394a header
- One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
- One jumper to disable BIOS password checking
CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.
This motherboard has jumpers to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS.
The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes. If you have forgotten your password you may disable password checking.
To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:
- Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
- Locate the jumper labeled CLEAR_PW.
- Move the jumper CLEAR_PW to pins 1-2.
- Plug in the power cord and turn ON the computer.
- Hold down the F10 key during the startup process and enter BIOS setup to change or clear the password.
- After changing or clearing the BIOS passwords, remember to reset the jumper to pins 2-3.