Checking Ink Levels
Use the HP software to check the estimated ink levels in the ink cartridges.
NOTE:Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low-ink levels, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace cartridges until print quality becomes unacceptable.
Checking ink levels
Use one of the following methods to check the ink levels.
HP Solution Center is software that acts as a centralized point of access for tasks such as scanning, printing, and copying. The software is part of the software package that comes with your product. When you perform a standard installation of the HP software, HP Solution Center is automatically installed.
You must have the full-feature print driver, which includes HP Solution Center, installed to use this method. If you do not have the full-feature print driver installed on your computer, you can install it now.
Follow these steps to download and install the lasted driver for your printer.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads . If prompted, type your printer model number, click Go , and then click Drivers .
- Make sure that your operating system is selected, and then click Next .
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver .
- Click Download , and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the software to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads ), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Follow these steps to open HP Solution Center, and then check the ink levels.
- Open HP Solution Center.
- Windows Vista and Windows 7: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs or All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows XP: On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox .
- Click the Device Services tab, and then click the Estimated Ink Levels tab.Figure 1: Estimated ink levelsNOTE:A cartridge might be running out of ink even if the graphic shows that ink remains in the cartridge. Lines or streaks appear in printouts when the cartridges begin to run out of ink. Replace ink cartridges that are out of or low on ink.
- Load the input tray with unused, plain white paper.
- Press and hold the Cancel button ( ), and then press the Start Copy Color button.
- Release both buttons. The self-test page prints.
- Find the ink-level indicators near the center of the page labeled with "E" (empty) and "F" (full).
Ink-level indicators on the self-test pageFigure 3: Example of full ink-levelsFigure 4: Example of low ink-levelsThe shading in the bars indicates ink levels. If the colored bars are closer to E, for example, the tri-color ink cartridge is low on ink.