Replacing the Print Cartridges
When a cartridge is low on ink, the quality of text and images in printouts might become unacceptable. Replace used cartridges with new, compatible, HP cartridges.
NOTE:When you replace a cartridge, the product prints an alignment page. You must scan the alignment page to complete alignment; otherwise the product prints an alignment page every time you turn it on. If this is the case for your product, see 'Step five: Align the cartridges' section in this document.
Step one: Make sure the print cartridge is compatible with the product
Use only new, genuine, HP cartridges compatible with the product to replace used cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the quality of refilled or remanufactured cartridges.
Review the following table to make sure that the replacement cartridge is compatible with your product.
|Cartridge type||Standard yield||High yield|
|Black cartridge||HP 27||HP 56|
|Tri-color cartridge||HP 28||HP 57|
|Photo cartridge||HP 58||n/a|
Step two: Remove the old print cartridge
- Press the On/Resume button () to turn on the product.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product.NOTE:If the carriage does not move into the access area, turn the product off and then on again.
Video: Open the cartridge door
- Press lightly on the top of the cartridge that you are replacing to release it from its slot. Then slide the cartridge out of the carriage.NOTE:The black cartridge belongs in the slot on the right. The tri-color cartridge belongs in the slot on the left.
Video: Remove the cartridge
Step three: Prepare the replacement cartridge
Follow these steps to remove the new cartridge from its packaging and remove the protective nozzle tape from nozzles.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging, and then pull the pink pull tab to remove the plastic tape.
Step four: Install the new print cartridge
Follow these steps to install a new cartridge.
- Hold the replacement cartridge at a slight upward angle, and then slide the cartridge forward into its slot.
- Firmly push the cartridge in until it snaps into place.NOTE:The black or photo cartridge belongs in the slot on the right. The tri-color cartridge belongs in the slot on the left.
Video: Install the new cartridge
- Close the cartridge access door.
Video: Close the cartridge access doorA cartridge alignment sheet prints automatically. If the alignment page does not print automatically, follow these steps to print one manually:Press and hold the Cancel button () and the On/Resume button ().Release both buttons.Press the Cancel button (), press the Copies button, press the Paper Type button, and then press the Start Copy - Color button. The alignment page prints.
- Continue to the next step to align the cartridges. If the product does not complete cartridge alignment, it will print a cartridge alignment sheet every time you turn on the product.
Step five: Align the print cartridges
Follow these steps to align the cartridges.
NOTE:If the alignment page did not print automatically, see the previous step for instructions on manually printing an alignment page.
- Open the top lid, and then place the alignment page face-down on the scanner glass in the lower-left corner.
Video: Load the alignment page
- Close the top lid, and then press the Scan button on the control panel. The product aligns the cartridges.
Video: Press the Scan button
HP offers additional resources for information on your product. HP recommends exploring these resources.