Windows Vista Safe Mode
This document applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers with Windows Vista.
Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode that allows you to use Windows with only the basic drivers. No extra software is loaded, so troubleshooting software and driver problems is much easier.
NOTE:In Safe Mode, Windows might not look like you are accustomed to, because Safe Mode uses a low graphics mode (VGA at 16 colors) for the display.
Use one of the options below to start the computer in Safe Mode
Entering Safe Mode when starting the computer
Use the following steps to start Windows Vista in Safe Mode when the computer is already off:
- Turn on the computer.
- Press the F8 key repeatedly when the first screen appears.
- From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and press ENTERWhen the Windows desktop appears, Safe Mode is displayed in the four corners of the screen and the desktop might look different that it usually does.
Entering Safe Mode from Windows Vista
Use the following steps to start Windows in Safe Mode from the Windows desktop:
- Click Start , and type msconfig in the Search box. Under Programs, click msconfig.exe.If a User Account Control message displays, click Continue.The System Configuration tool displays.
- Click the BOOT tab.
- Under Boot Options, click Safe boot, and select Minimal.
- Click Apply and then click OK. When prompted, click Restart.The computer starts in Safe Mode.
- When you have finished troubleshooting, open the System Configuration tool again and remove the selection from Safe boot to prevent the computer from always starting in Safe Mode.