Replacing Ink Cartridges
This document contains steps for installing replacement cartridges.
Steps for installing ink cartridges for the first time are not included in this document. For steps on installing cartridges for the first time, try one of the following options:
- See the documentation that shipped in the box with your product.
- Click here to review steps for setting up a new product (c01793336) (in English).
Replacing ink cartridges
Follow these steps in the order presented to replace the ink cartridges.
CAUTION:Wait until the new ink cartridge is available before removing the old ink cartridge. Do not leave the ink cartridge outside of the product for an extended period of time. This can result in damage to both the product and the ink cartridge.
Step one: Make sure the cartridge is compatible with the product
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
If you have installed the product software, check the Toolbox in HP Solution Center. To open the Toolbox, follow these steps:
- Open HP Solution Center:
HP Solution Center opens in a new window.
- Windows XP: Click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows Vista: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings ( ).
- Under Print Settings , click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox opens in a new window.
- Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab, and then click Shop online .
Step two: Replace the cartridge
The following video demonstrates how to replace a print cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Photosmart C309g. The outside of the product might not look the same as your product, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube. .
- If the product is not already on, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
- Raise the cartridge access door until it locks into place.The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
- Press the tab on the front of the cartridge to release it, and then remove it from the slot.CAUTION:Do not lift the latch to the side of the carriage to remove the cartridge. Doing so might result in incorrectly seated cartridges.
- On the new cartridge, pull the orange pull-tab straight back to remove the plastic wrap.
- Twist the orange cap counter-clockwise to snap it off.
- With the cartridge contacts facing the printhead, slide the cartridge into the appropriate slot as indicated by the color-coded icons on the cartridge and in the printhead.
- Press down on the ink cartridge until it clicks firmly into place.
- Repeat these steps for each cartridge that you want to replace.
- Close the ink cartridge door.The product automatically aligns the printhead and prints an alignment page.