Installing the HP Universal Print Driver or Installing the Product Driver Located in the Windows 7 Operating System
This document explains how to install the print drivers and other software for your HP product. Please read this if you plan to use a USB cable to connect your product to a computer that has a Windows 7 operating system.
Important: The CD that shipped with your product does not include a full feature driver for Windows 7. Use one of the following methods to obtain and then install the software for your product.
The HP Universal Print Driver (UPD) is a single driver that provides instant access to multiple HP print devices and features. Follow these steps to download the HP UPD, and then install it.
Review the following table to see which UPD is best for your printing needs.
|HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL 6|
|HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript|
|HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL 5|
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- Type your printer model number.
- Click Go.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature or solution software and driver listed, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the driver to your computer.
For your product, Windows 7 comes with a basic driver built into the operating system (in-OS driver).
With this basic driver, some of the advanced product features are not available.
When you connect the product to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD.
Follow these steps to install the basic driver in Windows 7.
- Turn the product on.
- Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the product and to the computer.
- A Your devices are ready to use window might display on the screen. If the window displays and does not close automatically, close the window.
Your basic Windows 7 driver is now installed.
If your product has a memory card slot, you can watch a video or follow the steps to access images that are on a memory card.
Video of importing and viewing images on a memory card
The following video demonstrates how to import and view images on a memory card in Windows 7.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.
- Insert the memory card into the appropriate memory card slot on the product.NOTE:If the memory card is already inserted, remove it, and then reinsert it.
- On the Autoplay window that opens, click Import Pictures, View Pictures, or Open folder to view files.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP LaserJet and Color LaserJet Products -- 'Device Driver Software Was Not Successfully Installed' Message Displays in Windows 7 When Installing the Product with a USB Cable