64-bit Versions of Windows 7
This document pertains to HP and Compaq Desktop and Notebook computers using 64-bit versions of Windows 7.
HP provides 64-bit hardware and Windows 7 64-bit editions with many of its desktop and notebook computers. The following list shows some of the key advantages of using 64-bit editions of Windows 7:
- Greater maximum memory support. While the 32-bit editions of Windows 7 can typically use about 3.3 Gigabytes (GB) of memory, Windows 7 64-bit editions can address 8, 16, or even 192 GB of maximum addressable memory (depending on which version of Windows 7 is installed).
- Increased speed and performance over 32-bit software programs when 64-bit software programs are used.
- The ability to upgrade to support more complex applications and 3D games that require 64-bit computing.
- Enhanced security with an enhanced layer of hardware protection.
NOTE:Certain Windows 7 product features require advanced or additional hardware. For details, see the Microsoft Web pages Windows 7 System Requirements (in English).
Finding 64-bit hardware and software compatibility information
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which software programs are compatible with your 64-bit hardware. To download and use the tool, go to Microsoft's Web page Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (in English).
To see if a particular hardware device or software program is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center (in English).
If you are planning to buy any new peripheral devices to use with your new HP computer, you can go to the Web site of the device manufacturer, or examine the device packaging in the store. Many devices come with multiple drivers.
64-bit hardware information
64-bit hardware Web sites:
- Go to the Intel Web site link Intel 64 Architecture (in English) for Intel 64-bit hardware information. The site has links for advanced users and developers, and contains video demonstrations.
- Go to the AMD Web site link AMD64 Solutions (in English) for AMD 64-bit hardware and AMD-specific driver information.
Windows 7 and memory
Windows 7 comes in a variety of editions: 32-bit versions have a minimum memory requirement of 1 GB while 64-bit versions have a minimum memory requirement of 2 GB.
The maximum amount of memory depends on the edition used and the limitation of the hardware (motherboard). The following table lists the maximum addressable memory for the different versions of Windows 7:
|Edition of Windows 7||Maximum addressable memory|
|Starter - 32-bit version||Approximately 2 GB|
|Home Basic - 64-bit||8 GB|
|Home Premium- 64-bit||16 GB|
|Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate - 64-bit Editions||192 GB|
Find out more...
Learn more about 64-bit computing from the Microsoft Web site:
NOTE:One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside the HP Web site.