'Device driver software was not successfully installed' Message Displays in Windows 7 When Installing the Printer with a USB Cable
When you try to install your HP printer in Windows 7, the following error message displays on the computer.
'Device driver software was not successfully installed'
Windows 7 is not able to install the driver for your printer. The driver is not located in Windows 7 or Windows Update is not enabled.
Solution one: Download and install the software from the HP website
Follow these steps to download the latest HP software, and then install it in Windows 7.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads . If prompted, type your printer model number, click Go , and then click Drivers .
- Make sure that your operating system is selected, and then click Next .
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver .
- Click Download , and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the software to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads ), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Solution two: Install the printer driver using Windows Update
Some HP printers do not have a Full Feature driver available to download. Windows Update searches for and installs a driver for your printer if one is available.
NOTE:Make sure the computer has an active Internet connection. Windows Update does not function if the computer is not connected to the Internet.
- If you have not installed Windows 7, follow the instructions in method one to configure Windows Update.
- If you have installed Windows 7, follow the steps in method two to configure Windows Update.
Click the plus sign () for more information.
When you install Windows 7, select Use recommended settings in the Help protect your computer and improve Windows automatically window.
Follow these steps to configure Windows Update to automatically search for and install a basic printer driver.
Step one: Adjust the settings to update the printer automatically
- On the taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ).
- In the Search Programs and Files box type change device installation .
- Click Change device installation settings . The Device Installation Settings window opens.
- If it is not already selected, select Yes, do this automatically (recommended) , and then click Save Changes .NOTE:Windows 7 might prompt you to restart the computer. Make sure that you bookmark this page so that you can quickly access again.
Step two: Install the printer driver
When you connect the printer to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the printer CD.
Follow these steps to install the basic driver in Windows 7.
- Make sure that the printer power is off.
- Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the printer, and then to the computer.
- Turn the printer on.NOTE:Windows Update searches online for the most recent printer driver on the Windows Update site. If the online driver is more recent than the driver stored in Windows 7, the computer downloads and installs the updated driver.The Windows Update process takes place automatically. Therefore, you might not notice that the process is in progress.
- A Your devices are ready to use window might display on the screen. If the window displays and does not close automatically, click Close to close the window.
Your basic Windows 7 driver is now installed. Some functions might not be available, but you can use the following workaround procedures instead.
The basic driver in Windows 7 is enough for printing from a software program, scanning documents, and importing and viewing images on a memory card. Also, using your All-in-One printer, you can fax a printed page.
Use these steps to print from a software program.
- Open the document to be printed in the software application in which it was created.
- Click File , and then click Print .
Video of printing from a software program
Watch the following video for a demonstration of printing from a software program with Windows 7 operating system.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Use one of the following methods to scan a document if your printer supports scanning.
- Click the Windows ( ) icon.
- Click All Programs .
- Click Windows Fax and Scan .
- Click New Scan , and then click Scan .
Video of scanning with Windows Fax and Scan
The following video demonstrates how to scan with Windows Fax and Scan in Windows 7.
- Click the Windows ( ) icon, click All Programs , and then click Accessories .
- Click Paint ( ).
- Click the drop-down arrow in the upper-left corner, and then click From Scanner or Camera .
- Make sure the correct device is selected, click OK , and then click Scan .
Video of Scanning with Paint
The following video demonstrates how to scan with Paint in Windows 7.
Although you cannot fax a document directly from your computer, you can still fax a printed document from the printer if your printer supports faxing.
- Print the document you want to fax.
- Place the printout on the flat surface or feeder slot in the same way you would for scanning or copying a document.
- Fax the paper version of the document by using the faxing buttons on the control panel of the All-in-One.
If your printer has a memory card slot, follow these steps to access images on a memory card.
- Insert the memory card into the appropriate memory card slot on the product.NOTE:If the memory card is already inserted, remove it, and then reinsert it.
- On the Autoplay window that opens, click Import Pictures , View Pictures , or Open folder to view files .
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Video of importing and viewing images on a memory card
The following video demonstrates how to import and view images on a memory card in Windows 7.