IEEE 1394 (FireWire) Does Not Work After Upgrading to Windows 7
After upgrading to Windows 7 the FireWire port does not work or Windows 7 locks up when attempting to update the IEEE 1394 Host Controller.
To resolve this problem, connect the computer to the Internet and use the following steps:
- Restart the computer if Windows 7 has stopped responding. If the Plug and play window for IEEE 1394 opens, cancel the installation.
- Click Start , and type device manager into the search field.
- Click Device Manager from the results list.The Device Manager window opens.
- Double-click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers .
- Select the 1394 Controller, LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (in this example), and select Update Driver Software.Figure 1: 1394 Host Controller in Device Manager
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software. What happens?
- Windows Update finds and installs a driver. Use the FireWire port to see if the problem continues. If problems continue, see the next step.
- Windows 7 stops responding when installing the driver. Restart the computer and see next step.
- Windows Update does not find a more recent driver (problems continue). See next step.
- The hardware on your computer is not compatible with a version of the IEEE 1394 driver for Windows 7. Repeat these steps to open Device Manager and Update Driver Software. Instead of selecting "Search Automatically...", select Browse my computer for driver software .
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer .
- Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) , and click Next .
- Windows 7 automatically installs the legacy version of the 1394 host controller and restarts the computer.IEEE 1394 should now be functional.NOTE:The legacy driver may not perform as well as an updated driver. If problems occur with the most recent IEEE 1394 update from Device Manager, the legacy driver may be your only option. In the future, you can repeat these steps to attempt to install an updated version of IEEE 1394 that might address the compatibility problems affecting your computer.