The Printer Is Not Listed in the Printers Folder in Windows
The product is not listed in the Printers and Faxes , the Printers , or the Printers and Devices folder.
NOTE:Some of the following solutions require you to restart the computer. Consider bookmarking this page on your Web browser, so that you can reference it after restarting the computer.
Solution one: Connect the USB cable to a different USB port and check the Printers folder
Follow these steps to connect the USB cable to a different USB port and to check the Printers folder.
Step one: Connect the USB cable to a different USB port
Disconnect the USB cable ( ) from the computer, and then plug it into another USB port on the computer.
Step two: Check the Printers folder
- Open the Printers folder.
- Windows XP : Click Start , and then click Printers and Faxes .
- Windows Vista : Click the Windows icon ( ), click Control Panel , and then double-click Printers .
- Windows 7 : Click the Windows icon ( ), click Control Panel , and then double-click Printers and Devices .
- Check the folder to see if your product is listed.
- If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
- If the issue persists , see the next solution.
Solution two: Uninstall and reinstall the HP software
Follow these steps to uninstall and reinstall the HP software.
Step one: Close any open programs
Close any open programs in the Windows notification area in the lower-right corner of your computer. Right-click the program icon, and then select Close or Disable .
Step two: Uninstall the HP software
- Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the printer.
- Open the HP software uninstaller:
The software uninstaller opens in a new window.
- Windows XP : Click Start , click All Programs , click HP , point to the folder for the HP product, and then click Uninstall .
- Windows Vista : Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , point to the folder for the HP product, and then click Uninstall .
- Windows 7 : Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , point to the folder for the HP product, and then click Uninstall .
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the software.CAUTION:If asked to remove shared files, click No . Other programs that use these files might not work if you delete the files.
Step three: Download and install the latest HP Software
- Turn the product on.
- Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
- Open a new window to browse to the Select Software and Drivers page:
- Right-click this link, Select Software and Drivers , and then click Open in New Window .
- If prompted, type your product number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar products.
- Click your operating system.The Select software and drivers page opens.
- In the Driver section, click the software you want to download.
- Thoroughly review the download options and information, and then click Install now or Download only , depending on your download preferences.NOTE:Click the View directions ( ) link for step-by-step instructions on downloading and installing the software.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.